Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Honey is 12 weeks old today and had her last injection about an hour ago. I was told she is about a pound overweight. Now my other dog is wire coated and clipped, Honey is longcoat, so it's quite hard to compare. She was quite barrel-like in the breeders pictures and I think she was eating the other three puppies food too. She now weighs 3lbs 4oz and I can see she's very plump but at the same time she already has about half to three-quarters the recommended food intake. Should I just cut it down even more? What sort of body shape should chihuahuas have?

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
shes still growing so im sure she will be ok to eat what your feeding her? if she gets enough excercise then she will be fine x

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
She looks an ok shape you can see she is a bit on the larger side :) lol. I dont personally know what to say? lol TO me she looks a bit wide arcoss her hips but never-the-less not fat

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I think she must just have eaten all the food lol but our parson eats everything and just stays really skinny so I don't have to worry for him.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I dont think she looks overweight? She may be on the chunky side but puppies tend get chunky, thin out and then get chunky again as they are growing. I wouldnt reduce her food I would just watch her and make sure she eats her part only. It is important for her to eat what she needs to keep her sugar levels up ;-)

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Perhaps I have misunderstood the original post...but I thought it said that your 12 week old chi is being fed 1/2 the recommended amount of food daily..And you are asking if you should reduce her intake of food even more?

If I have correctly understood what you said, then please allow me to say that I would be concerned about putting a 12 week old puppy on a diet. Adult chis should be monitored regarding weight issues as it can create health issues, however a puppy who is still developing needs adequate nutrition. For a vet to categorize a 12 week old as a pound overweight is puzzling since her adult size/frame and weight is yet to be known.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
No sorry I meant she only eats about 1/2 to 3/4 of her recommended intake out of her choice, I can't get her to eat more. And I also meant that she must have eaten all the food when she was at the breeder as there were three other pups. Sorry I wasn't very clear.
But I will try and get better pictures because tbh the more I actually look at her the more I can see she looks quite chunky, in a way that is more than just puppy fat. You can't feel her ribs or hips much at all. I think it is partly because she doesn't run around much, she sleeps on my lap more and obviously it is one more week before she can go for walks.
I am trying to make her run around a bit more.
I am definitely not trying to starve her.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Personally...I wouldn't worry. She doesn't look over weight to me & she is only 12 weeks. She is a growing pup & will even out as she grows! The fact she doesn't sound like a food "hog" as some are & isn't even eating as much as the food you are feeding recommends....I'd think she'd be ok. None of my pups ate the recommended intake when they were that age either. I'd just keep doing what you are doing & unless she balloons right up I wouldn't worry. She look like an OK puppy size to me...especially since we're also seeing her fluff. :)

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
She doesnt look that bad! Pls alot of pups do look abit podgy when little.
I agree that when she can get ot for some exercise she should even out abit.
Very pretty girl though, even if she is a little 'cuddly'.;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts