Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I really need a bit of advice as at the moment I'm feeling bit overwhelmed. I have mild OCD with cleanliness/neatness but my home can get messy as if it gets to a point of being slightly messy it makes me feel overwhelmed and highly anxious and I get depressed then I'll go nuts cleaning till exhaustion then it goes around again...does this make sense?

Anyway I've felt like such a bad chi-mama the last few days as I have had alot of stress on my head and been feeling extremely overwhelmed and axious because I haven't had time to organise and really do a thorough 'crazy clean' all I've wanted to do is sleep and of course my pups want to be with me all the time - also for some reason they prefer to rip and chew up paper/plastic/wallpaper/ ANYTHING other than their toys which is driving me mental as around 6 minutes after hoovering there is bound to be more paper from SOMEWHERE all over the floor.

I love my babies but have felt so rubbish lately not being able to be the active/fun chi-mama I have been.

Anyone else ever go through a similar down-patch?

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Yes! I don't have OCD, but I can definitely relate to the frustration. Toby was constantly under my bed hiding- sometimes it would take my 40 minutes to get him out. Not good when you have to go to school. And that is just one thing that frustrates me.

It doesn't make you a bad chi mom it makes you a normal chi mom.

How old are your puppies? In all likelihood, they will grow out of this. Also, whenever they cannot be 100% supervised they should be in a crate, gated off room for their protection and the protection of your home until they are completely reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using PetGuide

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes! I don't have OCD, but I can definitely relate to the frustration. Toby was constantly under my bed hiding- sometimes it would take my 40 minutes to get him out. Not good when you have to go to school. And that is just one thing that frustrates me.

It doesn't make you a bad chi mom it makes you a normal chi mom.

How old are your puppies? In all likelihood, they will grow out of this. Also, whenever they cannot be 100% supervised they should be in a crate, gated off room for their protection and the protection of your home until they are completely reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using PetGuide
My two are just under 5 months old - we did start doing that but they had a few accidents in their crates despite being taken outside after eating so we felt bad :/ one of the reasons I haven't been able to clean is because I literally spend hours and hours and I feel sad for them that their bored :(

I learned the hard way the other day had to leave the house for a few hours and they chewed my leather dining table and chairs....ruined them but I couldn't be mad because I felt bad for leaving them alone. I would have cancelled my engagement but it was too late notice and hubby was going to be there when I first agreed but had to go abroad for a few days aahhhh!! craaazyyy LOL!!

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Oh poor girl, I have exactly what you describe - my cure, go to bed with your babies, and let the mess build up & just do a weekly housework workout to your fave music - it took me a long time to get to that point but I'm happier for it, which only means I'm not going to jump off a bridge. Now when I get up & see they've got to the toot paper, god only knows how, and it's from one end of the house to the other, I just laugh, shake my head and go back to bed.

All this will just be a bad memory when they're older. Do you have bully sticks, cow hooves etc. for them to chew on - I'd rather them strewn all over the floors instead of paper & stuff and they'll keep them busy for ages.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh poor girl, I have exactly what you describe - my cure, go to bed with your babies, and let the mess build up & just do a weekly housework workout to your fave music - it took me a long time to get to that point but I'm happier for it, which only means I'm not going to jump off a bridge. Now when I get up & see they've got to the toot paper, god only knows how, and it's from one end of the house to the other, I just laugh, shake my head and go back to bed.

All this will just be a bad memory when they're older. Do you have bully sticks, cow hooves etc. for them to chew on - I'd rather them strewn all over the floors instead of paper & stuff and they'll keep them busy for ages.

LOL!! Great advice I know I need to let go as when I feel like this it renders me unable to focus enough to get anything done anyway!! I kind of bit hubbys head off big time today :foxes15: so, guessing that I was getting stressed he cleared up some stuff and we went and picked up some rawhide stick chew things from our local pet store/groomers - they are softer than normal rawhide sticks though so no sharp bits and they pretty much turn to mush so there's no choking hazard. They have made a difference already just because the pups LOOOVE them and are occupied and didn't run towards the living room door when I went to walk to the bathroom like they usually do :) Zeus even took his into his crate to relax and enjoy :coolwink: - he devoured his pretty quickly!! He got through one and a half while Isis had barely got through half of hers!!

I know bully sticks are considered better for them so I'll order some at a later point once they've finished these...we did get them rawhide bones/shoes but I wont be giving them those as I have read it can cut them internally!!??

We're gnna do a flashmob clean in a bit so everything will be sorted out - I reckon if we leave them with the sticks when we go it'll help with their chewing also as they only tend to do it when we have to leave them or their bored - when they were enjoying their sticks they didnt care what we were doing at all LOL!!

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Hiya, I would never feed rawhide of any kind, whatsoever, regardless of how soft, hard, or mushy it becomes. It's dangerous stuff, especially when they chew it to mush & swallow a piece big enough to choke them (it's sticky and sticks in the tubes, getting stuck, cutting of air) and it can also cause blockages deeper down.

I stick to bully sticks, cow toes (hooves), pigs ear strips, whole lamb ear, and antlers, tendons etc., basically everything except rawhide. Many others will issue the same warning here about that stuff.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hiya, I would never feed rawhide of any kind, whatsoever, regardless of how soft, hard, or mushy it becomes. It's dangerous stuff, especially when they chew it to mush & swallow a piece big enough to choke them (it's sticky and sticks in the tubes, getting stuck, cutting of air) and it can also cause blockages deeper down.

I stick to bully sticks, cow toes (hooves), pigs ear strips, whole lamb ear, and antlers, tendons etc., basically everything except rawhide. Many others will issue the same warning here about that stuff.
OMG!! REALLY?! I'm so worried now!!! How do I avoid problems now that they've eaten it? Do I just make sure they get alot of water?? WHY do they sell it if it causes so much problems or is it just Chihuahuas and other tiny dogs that have issues with it?

:'(

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
OMG!! REALLY?! I'm so worried now!!! How do I avoid problems now that they've eaten it? Do I just make sure they get alot of water?? WHY do they sell it if it causes so much problems or is it just Chihuahuas and other tiny dogs that have issues with it?

:'(
They'll be fine - obviously choking is something you notice as it happens, and the chances of causing a bowel or other obstruction are very slim, just not slim enough for us fanatical Chi moms is all :)

Frankly, I'd be more worried about giving my big Mastiffs a big piece of heavy duty rawhide because they inhale everything, they'll easily chew their way through a full beef shin and because they devour everything so rapidly & voraciously, whereas Chis tend to lick, pick, tear a teeny bit at a time, it would be less of a worry. My logic may be all screwed up there, but that's just how I feel and this is a no-go zone for rawhide at all due to the risk.

If you can bear having your dogs running around the house, or even confined to their crates with raw food, one of the best things you can give them is a raw, soft rib - lamb ribs are great for this, especially with the cartilege on the end - I get a whole side of ribs & just belt them apart individually using my clever. Chicken wing tips are also great (but remember, they'll eat the entire thing, mine do the ribs as well) so that forms part of their daily food allowance. Even a giant bone with lots of meat on it is wonderful for them for recreational purposes, when the meat is gone, dispose of the bone - do NOT get butcher to cut bones lengthways down the middle though, not good .... sharp edges and they can fracture their little teeth on hard bones like that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts