Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OKAY! I hope it is okay to send you guys to this link from another board. A great dane board. But this is either information we all need to know or the biggest crock I have ever heard? I am totally confused by this and since it is parvo related and vaccine related I thought it may be helpful. It knocks everything I have ever heard or learned from vets out of the ball park. I must warn you it is quite long or I would have cross posted it. I hope this doesnt start any arguments. I just wanted some of you breeders, vet techs, vets, pet owners, etc... to give me your advice and or input on this???

http://www.danesonline.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=172&topic_id=37487&mesg_id=37544&page=

·
Registered
718 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't think this is a crock at all. I have read this plenty of times and I'm sure we over-vaccinate our pets. It's awful to think that our pets' health is really in the hands of the big greedy pharmaceutical companies, until more info like this becomes available. Everything written there makes tons of sense though doesn't it?

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
confused

That is what is so scary to me?!?! She really seems to know what she is talking about? If giant dogs breeds like danes can have these type of problems due to vaccines? Then what about our wee baby chis?? I had heard about not giving rabies and vacc's together and I had heard of not giving them the lepto but this is saying we are putting this stuff in these babies and it could be quite harmful in the long run??? And I am wondering if this applies for rabies? Rabies shots are the law!! I have never had a problem w/vaccines and I have danes, chi, Weim & Yorkie. I had always thought I was doing right by them but how do you argue with a vet when they seem to know it all??

·
Registered
718 Posts
I know, I feel the same way. It's an awful thing to have info like this and be caught between putting the relationship with your vet at risk, or potentially putting your baby's life in danger. Especially with the rabies vaccine, I wish they would let you test for antibodies rather than require it every year or for travel, etc. If you're really concerned I'm sure you could find a holistic vet who shares the same views, or you may have a vet who is very open-minded. Luckily, even with the standard vaccine protocol, most of our pets will live to a ripe old age. I just wonder how much healthier they might have been without all these repeated viruses. I ordered an e-book that talks about all of this and it really makes me sad that I didn't know this before. There's a lot of very interesting information if you're interested...<http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/ebooks/LL.html>. I'm curious what everybody else has to say about this as well!

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
My vet works pretty much the same way as stated in the great dane post. I just thought the vaccine regimine that my vet suggested was normal since I have never had the responsiblity of a puppy until Cooper. I did have two large dogs but they were rescues so I wasn't around for their puppy vaccinations.

It makes sense though; you see the trend with humans as well. With my MS, I have to vaccinate against flu, bronchitis, pneumonia, and just about every disease out there but these vaccines are available to everyone and people get them yearly, whether or not they "need" them. We're so busy making sure we don't get sick that we make ourselves sick worrying about it. We overmedicate ourselves and our children so they don't act up in school or to ensure they don't get sick when, most times, all that is needed is attention and perhaps alternative solutions to mainstream medications in the form of supplements or herbal remedies that work just as well.

I feel very lucky to have the vet we have now. My past experiences have been negative when it was just me and OmaKitty who has medical problems, including an allergy to almost all the vaccines that result in major reactions. Our vet now doesn't vaccinate OmaKitty, with the exception of feline leukemia, which is at my request. Since she's an indoor cat, the vet just doesn't see the point in causing her pain and making her sick.

With Cooper, he gets all the vaccinations, scattered over a week or so. It seems inconvienent but we live around the corner from the vet, so it isn't for me. I appreciate the fact she takes a possible reaction to the vaccines into account when giving them to him. I also appreciate that she will sit down with me and explain what each vaccination is and does if I ask her.... BEFORE she sticks the needle into my boy.

Preventative medication is so much better than treating illness, but in some cases, I think we go too far these days with both humans and animals. There are some diseases you want to be vaccinated against but I think the risks should be explained where the pet owner can understand the pros and the cons and, in the case of some vaccines, let the vet and owner decide - or at least do what everyone agrees is right for the dog or cat.

It's unfortunate that we, as a society, have let the drug companies tell us what we need and don't need instead of our doctors. Whether it be humans or animals, a large percentage of doctors seem to hand out whatever medications they have, just to get you out of their office and see the next person waiting in the lobby. It's also unfortunate that standard practices are not revised every year or two to incorporate findings about medications, vaccines and general practices and either eliminate or change the way things are done - both in the human and animal medical fields.

Speaking from my own personal experience with doctors and my MS, I cannot live without some drug to ease the pain and effects of my disease but I make sure that I am taking the least amount of medications for the maximum results. I do have to have about 10 different yearly vaccinations and I wonder sometimes if that is too much or not enough to keep me healthy without compromising my body in one way or another. I wonder the same thing about Cooper and his vaccinations but at least my vet is willing to sit down with me and tell me why she thinks he should or shouldn't have a vaccine or medication.

Wow... this post ran really long. I hope it makes sense; I'm too tired to go back and read it. LOL

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I've read articles similar to this in the past, and I wish I could say it is all a crock. Unfortunately, I don't think it is. So, what should we do? I can't speak for anyone else - everyone has to make their own informed decisions. Like Cooper's mom, I am fortunate to have a vet that I have the utmost confidence and trust in and I rely on their informed decisions. They are the ones with the years of schooling, training and experience. I do insist they explain everything to me fully, in terms I can understand, and then I rely on their judgement.

We probably do over vaccinate our pets now, but I grew up in a time when no one vaccinated their pets for anything really. I watched two much loved dogs die from distemper, and believe me it is not pleasant. I also saw a good friend of mine have to undergo painful rabies shots after her dog contracted rabies. Back in the '40's and early '50's where I grew up in farm and ranching country, vets were mainly used for the farm animals such as horses and cows. If your pet got sick, they let nature take its course. I know that sounds cruel, but that's just the way things were then. I don't think a lot of the vaccines we use today had even been developed then.

So, I will continue to vaccinate according to my vet's recommendations and hope and pray I'm doing the right thing.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
It makes a great deal of sense Cooper and I agree, Marcus first vaccination shot from his vet made him really sick so I started researching things. The next time we went I had a bunch of articles I had printed and taken with me and I talked all of them over with the vet before we did another shot. Marcus is a very social dog, he loves people and other dogs and can't wait to greet any dog that he sees (unless it's an intruder in 'his' yard) so I wanted him safe but not sick from the vaccinations. I think we have a fairly good choice going now but truthfully I would entirely skip the rabies vac if I had a choice. Since I don't get a choice in the matter we schedule his rabies for at least a month after his other vacs.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I worked with a vet for a while.....years actually. I dont get my dogs or cats vaccinated anually. The only vaccine I do every year is bordatella.
When I do rabies....I do the 3 year vaccine, but only because I am required to by law. Unfortunatley....everything that article is true to my knowledge.....and thats one of the reasons I left the vet ...we were charging people WAY too much money for things they did NOT need.
Just my humble opinion!
I also wait till my pups are about 12 weeks old to do any vaccines...and I never do boosters!

·
Registered
746 Posts
I responded before about this. My 13 year old Keeshond has been vaccinated yearly since we got her as a pup. At ten years she had a terrible reaction to the vaccines and developed a huge lump in her hindquarters. Now the vet says she has Sarcoma and there is no treatment for it at her stage and stage of life. The only good thing is it seems to be slow growing and she is still around today, although has developed other lumps, she doesn't seem to be in pain. We just love her as much as we can every day.

After Mo's puppy shots, I plan on having him vacinated only every three years...and then, mostly, because it is the law that he have his rabies shot. I am a Microbiologist and have studied immunology. It only makes sense that these vaccinations should create immunity that lasts at LEAST three years, if not longer. It would be a different story if Distemper, Parvo mutated like the flu virus every year...but from my understanding it does not. I believe you can have your pets tested for antibodies to see if they are still immune. This may be the safest way to go, and I hope vets start recommending this instead of yearly vaccines.

·
Registered
534 Posts
One of my cats developed a huge tumor like thing, cant remember the proper name...right on his back, near his spinal cord. This was from one of the vaccines. It cost $ 600 to remove and was very risky because of the location. I always, and any GOOD vet should anyway....giving vaccines in the top part of the back leg. Though these tumors are not very common....if it does occur....the leg can be amputated as a last resort( sometimes they cant get all of the growth out..its stringy) then its not located on the spine where most vets like to give vaccines...right at the base of the neck.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I hate this subject I just want to do what is best for my boy. I would feel terrible if he didn't get his shots and got sick. I would feel terrible if he got cancer or other illness because he got shots I wish they would really figure out what is best for the dog :roll:

·
Registered
746 Posts
Vets can do a blood test to see if your pet still has immunity by testing for antibodies. Some vets will do this instead of yearly vaccinations, but it costs as much as a vaccination, if not slightly more, so most vets don't even tell you it is an option. I plan on asking them to do this if the vet insists I have Mo vaccinated yearly.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
:) I have read alot info. on this and i highly agree that our dogs do not need to be vaccinated every year.My chi got her booster shots this year but i plan to wait three years cause my poor baby Princess had to be given about three allergies cause she vomited as a reaction to the shots. I taught i was going to loss her thank god she is still her licking us to death.The vet had divided the vaccines to be on the safe side but i end up spending more money on shots,vet visits,and x-rays.i even changed vets the vet how found the cause told me it was the Fort Dodge Brand she told me she dislikes it.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Auggies Mom said:
I hate this subject I just want to do what is best for my boy. I would feel terrible if he didn't get his shots and got sick. I would feel terrible if he got cancer or other illness because he got shots I wish they would really figure out what is best for the dog :roll:
Incredibly frustrating. It seems like either way, it's a crap shoot. :x

1 - 15 of 15 Posts