Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in a flat and outside is a massive green. So me and mins usaly spend most of our time out there as she loves to be outside. I let her off her lead and she runs around for ages playing and always came back to me when I called her. But this morning around 15 mins ago a lady walked past with her little girl and ninja chased her. The little girl was so scared and ninja wouldn't listen to me. She ran out in front of a car she has never done that before she is fine I finally caught her but she has never done that before. Any tips on what I should do maybe time for a harness when she goes out now

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
What a fright for you.I only ever let my dogs off in a field or enclosed area.Maybe a harness and extendable lead would be safer,but please don't use it when your out walking the pavements,my friends dog was run over as she forgot to retract the lead and he walked into the road under a car.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
i dont like those extendable leads either.
if we want the akitas to get a run, as by law they cant be off lead.
we bring one of those horse leads with us, and put it on when we get to a safe area.
its 18 ft long,so maybe you could get a smaller one and your dog could still get a run

·
Registered
61 Posts
If there are cars then my dogs aren't off-leash. No one's recall is perfect and I say this even of my 4 year old obedience trained AmStaff mix who is one of the most insanely reliable recalls I have ever seen. Use a long line like was suggested or go somewhere where there are no vehicles (and no sneaky foxes hiding in long grass, either) to make sure your munchkin is safe. :)

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I have a park outside my apartment, but I only let the dogs off leash in the field early in the morning when no one else is around. You never know if they might see something worth chasing. I would get a harness and keep her on the leash to keep her safe.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so what i might do is buy a really long lead. take her out first thing in morning then try and do some recall training with her any tips on what i can do. i have only ever had big dogs and they all listen to me from day 1. But ninja is in a whole little world of her own lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts