Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,
most of you know already that i have Elmo who is 8 months and am picking up a new pup in 5 weeks time and im wondering if anyone has any advise as to how i can get Elmo and the new pup to get on well together??

Will Elmo try to protect his "territory"??
Can i leave them alone together??

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Hi,
I have three chihuahua's, each came into my home at different times. Here is what I have been told in the past...

1) don't give the new puppy more attention then your old one. Not that you want to play favorits, but I have been told to give your first pup as much attention as you did previous to getting the second one...that way they won't feel like they have to compete for your attention. After a while they will be use to the new pup and it wont be a big deal.

2) If you can, let the two meet on neutral grounds, maybe a park, or a friends house. That way your original pup wont be so territorial.

3) Keep an eye on them! Watch how they get along. I wouldn't leave the two of them by themselves just yet...give it a couple weeks so that everyone gets a chance to get use to the new pup and your new pup can get use to everything else.

4) Feed your original pup first! Its something simple but it will keep them from fighting. Little things like that will assure your first pup that he is still number one...and that way he wont feel the need to show agression to the other pup.

5) going on number 4...if you are going to give your pups treats, make sure your original pup gets it first, same with toys. You are not neglecting your new pup...and your new pup should settle into that schedule just fine! As long as you are consistant, there should be no problems.

Well, this is all I can think of at the moment. These are tips that my vet and obedience trainer gave me when I got Kylie because Tequila was not very happy! Now that I have that system everything is great! When Ginger came I stuck to that system and it worked great!

Hope this helped! Good luck!!!
-Jessica

1 - 4 of 4 Posts