Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday we came home from taking my son to the airport and Ozzy was fine. As the day went on he didn't drink or eat anything, he had diahrea, and was throwing up. He became more and more lifeless. He slept all day. We thought he might have been sick from a treat I gave him because he is so small. He is only 6 1/2 weeks old and only weighs 13 oz. This morning I got up to take our other chi, Tinkerbell, and Ozzy out to go potty. He couldn't hold his head up and could barely stand. We took him to the vet and she did a parvo test on him and it came out negative so she is thinking it might be hydrocephalus. I'm trying to think of a way to let my lilltle boy know. He is away at camp for 3 weeks and I don't want to tell him while he is at camp. The vet is suppose to call and let us know how he is doing tonight. She has him on antibiotics and fluids. She also said that he was a little cool when we brought him in. I'm really scared and don't want to have to tell my son we had to put his puppy to sleep while he was gone. If anybody has any suggestions please let me know. And please say a prayer for Ozzy.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
First of all Welcome! As a rule Chihuahua puppies should stay with their moms untill 8 to 12 weeks of age. A puppy that tiny should still be with his mother. A good Breeder would never let a puppy that young be sold. It sounds as if he may be having some problems with "Hypoglycemia". A baby that age should be fed several small meals a day, and also given "nutrical supplement. A puppy who is "Hydrocephalic" will sometimes have seizures and have incoordination problems. It sometimes requires an MRI or CT scan to properly diagnose this condition. The eyes are usuallly a little wide set. I hope it is only a temporary set back. Keep us posted.

sandra
www.chloescustomharness.com

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Keeping my fingers crossed its just hypoglycemia and can be treated and sent back home. rule of thumb ALWAYS keep nutrical or kyro syrup on hand no matter where you go or where you take him/her. For a severe hypo attack it can be a life saver. I never leave home without it and 2 of my chis are adults. If it is anything else contact the breeder dont expect any cooperation but it doesnt hurt that breeder should not have let a pup at such a young age go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts