Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new and got a Chihuahua in December and he's the 4th dog in the house hold and while the other 3 (different breeds) were a breeze to potty train, Ozzy at 4 months old will simply not house train and its getting frustrating :foxes15:

I take him out on a regular basis and after playtime, after sleep and after meal time and I can be outside as long as 40 minutes and he won't pee or poop which makes me think "Oh he must not want to go" come inside and goes on his pee pad :(

I've tried taking his pee pad outside, I've tried using training sprays you spray on the grass to attract them to pee there, nothing is working. Some days I'm lucky and he'll pee and poop as soon as he goes out and I reward him straight away with petting and a treat but then back to square one where he'll do it inside, its like he can't seem to remember or catch onto the praise WHEN he has done it outside.

Any tips would be helpful. :p

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
I'm just going through this with my Maisie, she's pees on the pad indoors but I want her to now go outside. It's slow but she is 6 months and I think she's finally sussing it. You're baby is very young yet, it's all about consistency and repetition. When he does go outside increase the treats, I give Maisie loads outside so she thinks hey this is good! Don't get angry with him if he doesn't go outside, but make such a fuss when he does. My neighbours must think I'm nuts when Maisie does go outside. Also look at it from his point of view, since the day you got him you've praised him to go on the pad and now all of a sudden you've changed his routine. Time, time and more time, and then I'm sure it will suddenly just click. Good luck :)

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Hi, I'm new and got a Chihuahua in December and he's the 4th dog in the house hold and while the other 3 (different breeds) were a breeze to potty train, Ozzy at 4 months old will simply not house train and its getting frustrating :foxes15:

I take him out on a regular basis and after playtime, after sleep and after meal time and I can be outside as long as 40 minutes and he won't pee or poop which makes me think "Oh he must not want to go" come inside and goes on his pee pad :(

I've tried taking his pee pad outside, I've tried using training sprays you spray on the grass to attract them to pee there, nothing is working. Some days I'm lucky and he'll pee and poop as soon as he goes out and I reward him straight away with petting and a treat but then back to square one where he'll do it inside, its like he can't seem to remember or catch onto the praise WHEN he has done it outside.

Any tips would be helpful. :p

Find him a treat that he absolutely loves, take the treats outside with you rather than waiting til your back in the house to reward him. How is he doing with the potty pads? If he's doing better with the potty pads then maybe you should focus on that for right now, rather than outdoor training. Sorry this has been so frustrating for you. I can't relate because my 4 chi's were very easily trained. My youngest is 5 months, and was potty trained within weeks of coming home. I crate trained with a litterbox. Hope you can get this resolved soon!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I just let them decide where to go---outside or inside on the pee pads. Praised them for both. Just remember when the weather is really yucky you will be glad he is pee pad trained! My three go mostly inside on washable pads, but will also go outside also.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts