Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have an 8 week old chi and he wont sleep during the night unless he's in my bed! I don't want him in my bed because our big dog isn't aloud and I don't want to be unfair to her and I don't want to roll over on him. He will sleep fine in his playpen during the day. Before he goes to bed I make sure he has a heat bag in there so he doesn't get too cold, he goes potty just before going to bed, we play with him for a good while before he goes to bed too but nothing seems to help. He gets really pink when he's tired and thats normally around the time we want to go to bed. Last night was the first night since we got him I didn't have to get him to sleep before I put him in his crate, but he did wake up in the middle of the night, and thats fine I know he's tiny and has a small bladder and is going to need to use the potty in the middle of the night but he doesn't even pee when I take him out, and then after I take him out he wont go back to sleep unless he can lay beside me in bed, and then he's fine. But I want my bed to be MY bed not his too. Please help me!

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
8 weeks is still very young,if he's not in your room can you leave a radio on ?does he have a teddy to cuddle ,maybe a little food may help ?these are the things i gave Dottie and she never woke me up at night.Hope this helps

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have three kids and two dogs, so at this point anything helps.

He is in my room right next to my bed so I can reasure him if need be.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
They want to be with the pack at night..and that is you. It is going to take some time for him to adjust. Having a heated bed might help, as well as a favourite stuffed toy. He is young to be away from his mum and he will need time. Lots of people have been through it, after a few nights of crying.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Just harden your heart and put him in his bed to sleep. You are on the right track with the nighttime routine. Getting him tired will help. Then when you are ready for bed just take him to his area and put him in and leave. Don't make a big deal out of it, don't worry about getting him to sleep before putting him in (he's not a human child), just put him in and go about your business. If he wakes up to potty take him out, be very neutral, no playing or petting or loving, it's a potty break only. If he doesn't potty take him back to his spot and go back to bed. If he cries, let him. Don't go back to him unless you really feel he needs to potty then re-do the potty thing with no pets or loving. It's important not to give in and let him sleep in bed with you because the more you do that the harder it will be to get him out of the bed later.

Make sure he has something warm to snuggle up with and maybe a ticking clock. If the big dog isn't allowed in the bed maybe he can sleep in the same room as the puppy so he will feel more secure.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much, gonna try it tonight, I'm crossing my fingers I can find the strength to not give in!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HE SLEPT ALL NIGHT IN HIS KENNEL AND ONLY GOT UP TWICE!!!! He did have an accident in his kennel but thats my fault I probably didn't hear him. Im so happy! YAY my little Ozz-mister!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts