Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a thread about my Pablo coughing and the vet said that it was kennel cough. I'm not so sure anymore. First he was on amoxicillin and then he was clavamox. The clavamox seemed to help but he's still coughing some during the night and when he wakes up from his daily naps. I'm going to take him to the vet this week but does anyone have any idea what this could be if it's not kennel cough? It doesn't sound like collapsing trachea, so I'm confused. HELP!

·
Registered
877 Posts
I wish I could help, but I don't know much about kennel cough. I hope Pablo feels better. How long has he been like this?

·
Registered
318 Posts
My Yorkie has Kennel Cough and was in the vets overnight on Thursday of last week. She'd been on treatment from the 21st Dec ( only 1 weeks worth ) and seemed to pick up, but then started coughing again.

We thought it was a collasped trachea, but it isnt, it's still the Kennel Cough and she's been placed on a 3 week course of stronger antibiotics. My vet said it can take some dogs a couple of months to recover and get rid of kennel cough.

So my guessing would be it's still Kennel Cough and your baby just hasnt got over it yet and may need some stronger antibiotics

Good luck

Sinead x

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
do your chis have other sytoms?like sneezing,watery eyes,itchy skin they could have allergies.i think cough syrup works better than the tabs.i have some homeopathic cough medicine which works great as part of my first aide kits for my chis.

i buy it from kvvet.com

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the advice. He's been like that since we got him on New Years Eve. It has gotten better with the Clavamox but it's still there. *sigh* I guess this is going to be a battle not easily won.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Hope you baby feels better soon. Maybe if you didn't, you should consider getting your baby the Bordatella shot once he's better? I know it's not a guarantee, but if he's susceptible to getting Kennel Cough, then it might be good to get it. Just something to think about. Well wishes...

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
My vet didn't even prescribe antibiotics...she said it's like a cold, and really, they don't help...except if they developed secondary symptoms. In a healthy dog, it runs its course and it does seem like it takes forever, but suddenly, in a week or ten days, there is a great improvement.

I hated it when Dolly had it as well!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts