Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my husband and I recently got a baby Chihuahua from a lady I know thats not exactly the brightest crayon in the box but had a litter of full breed pups. I guess she wanted to make a buck, which is a lame excuse to breed them, but she gave us her smallest little girl because we tend to take care of this woman a lot.

Anyway, We got little Padmae(ode to starwars) on this past monday. Padmae was pretty infested with fleas, and worms and was very skinny on her tail bone.I bathed her in dawn soap, and the vet gave her some wormer and first shots since I am pretty sure the old woman isnt bright enough to do that. She weighs 2.1 pounds and is estimated 8weeks old by vet because again, the old woman couldnt tell me hold she was :rolleyes:

One of the first things I noticed about Padmae is that she is very skiddish. She doesn't like to come out her her kennel. I Have to pretty much force her out, I read to try giving her treats, but since she is so little, I am terrified as to whats safe and whats not.

Next, she still has fleas. The vet didn't make a fuss over the fleas, just the worms in her belly which she has been treated for. What should I be treating her with for fleas? I really don't want her to have to suffer. Seems like she has already suffered enough.

Finnally, Her appetite wasn't that great at first, so Doc gave us some cans of Hills Prescription Diet A/D. I'm not positive what she should be eating at this point, What kind of puppy food do you recomend? She seems to be a bit picky so I am at a standstill as to what she will even eat.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Sounds like a back street breeder,poor little padmae.I feed Dottie Ziwi peak think it's 5 star food,she's tiny at 8 months 1lb 9 oz she loves it,(They also do a treat one )i also give her Acana puppy kibble that's another good one,as she's so small you should have some nutra cal paste handy(full of vitamins),sounds as if she wasn't socialized so lots of TLC,don't know if you're in uk but you can get puppy flea spray or drops that go on the neck !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in the US, Texas to be exact. Can I get those foods here, or would I need to order online? We did get some Nutra Cal paste, I forgot to mention that.

And yes, basically she did come from a back yard breeder, poor little thing was so pitiful when I saw her. I knew I had to take her just to save her from that hell.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Not sure if you can get them at pet stores,i'm in uk so i order mine online,sure somebody will let you know from us where they get theirs from or if you google it ??

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Where abouts in Texas? There are quite a few pet shops in Houston and Woodlands that handle Ziwi.

There are definitely other options as well, I feed The Honest Kitchen and like it, it may not be the best for weight gain but it's an option too.

Arcana is a good kibble if you want to go that route too.

More than anything she's going to need socialized, introduce her to everything and everyone, she's missed out on that so far in life it sounds but it'll make life much easier on you later. Little at a time of course.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I can get ZP on the ground but it is MUCH cheaper for me at Petflow. I get 3-4 bags at a time to qualify for free shipping. Here is a link:
ZiwiPeak ZiwiPeak Daily-Dog Cuisine Venison Real Meat Dry Dog Food | PetFlow.com

Here is also a link to an unbiased dog food ratings site. There are also some 5 star kibbles (you may want to add warm water for her at first) that are excellent. Acana, Fromms, Orijen and more. You can search by brand or just browse by numbers of stars.
Dog Food Reviews | Dog Food Ratings

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Whatever you decide to feed her, make sure it's the best possible quality you can afford, and that's it is specifically made for puppies. Your dog hasn't had the best start in life to date, so it's even more important that you do nothing else to stress out her little system. Feeding her a food not designed for puppies is going to do just that. Also check her teeth and make sure she has enough to actually be able to chew the kibble up, or do what someone suggest and add a little water and let it sit for a bit so it softens.

If your vet isn't being aggressive about handling the fleas, I'd find a vet who is. :( She's too young and sounds like she's not in the best of health to be trying to battle the stress of fleas at such an early age. Again, because she hasn't had that great a start in life, the last thing you need is for her to develop a flea allergy with all the resultant issues!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sounds like a back street breeder,poor little padmae.I feed Dottie Ziwi peak think it's 5 star food,she's tiny at 8 months 1lb 9 oz she loves it,(They also do a treat one )i also give her Acana puppy kibble that's another good one,as she's so small you should have some nutra cal paste handy(full of vitamins),sounds as if she wasn't socialized so lots of TLC,don't know if you're in uk but you can get puppy flea spray or drops that go on the neck !
Apologies for going off topic. I'm getting a small girl in two weeks time. How much Nutrical and when do you recommend it throughout the day?

I hope Padmae is settling in, i'm glad she has such a caring chi mummy to look after her now.

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Apologies for going off topic. I'm getting a small girl in two weeks time. How much Nutrical and when do you recommend it throughout the day?

I hope Padmae is settling in, i'm glad she has such a caring chi mummy to look after her now.
I give Dottie a little blob on my finger to lick every morning,keeps the blood sugar level up

·
Registered
141 Posts
She is very small (well compared to 4.5lb Isabelle). She is expected to be about 3-3.5 fully grown. She was a big new born and then has stayed very small. Now smallest of the litter by far but wasn't originally. I will give her a little blob in the morning as you recommend Michele.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
Zodiac makes a Puppy formula flea and tick shampoo for sensitive skin with aloe, lanolin, oatmeal, and coconut extracts in it. I gave a bottle to my friend Becky after we rescued Jasper's Uncle Jo Jo ...his flea infestation was so bad it led to terrible hot spots on his skin. It worked so well that when Becky rescued 2 pups for the same place she used it for them to. Non irritating even to the hot spots and the fleas died quick. 1 or 2 baths should resolve the fleas. I use the adult formula shampoo from Zodiac as a preventative to. A bath every 2 weeks on my adult dogs works wonders on their coats and skin and non of my dogs in 10yrs have ever had a flea and trust me they go every where and spend lots of time with other dogs. Average cost is between $11-$16 dollars in any pet store.

PS: Zodiac also makes stuff to treat any bedding or your house that won't smell bad and works well.

Here is a link with info on Zodiacs products. I think they are the best on the market and like I said my pets have been flea and tick free. Not just good as a treatment but a preventative to. Zodiac® Pet Care Products, flea, tick, mosquito control products, shampoos, sprays, powders, topicals

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Zodiac makes a Puppy formula flea and tick shampoo for sensitive skin with aloe, lanolin, oatmeal, and coconut extracts in it. I gave a bottle to my friend Becky after we rescued Jasper's Uncle Jo Jo ...his flea infestation was so bad it led to terrible hot spots on his skin. It worked so well that when Becky rescued 2 pups for the same place she used it for them to. Non irritating even to the hot spots and the fleas died quick. 1 or 2 baths should resolve the fleas. I use the adult formula shampoo from Zodiac as a preventative to. A bath every 2 weeks on my adult dogs works wonders on their coats and skin and non of my dogs in 10yrs have ever had a flea and trust me they go every where and spend lots of time with other dogs. Average cost is between $11-$16 dollars in any pet store.

PS: Zodiac also makes stuff to treat any bedding or your house that won't smell bad and works well.

Here is a link with info on Zodiacs products. I think they are the best on the market and like I said my pets have been flea and tick free. Not just good as a treatment but a preventative to. Zodiac® Pet Care Products, flea, tick, mosquito control products, shampoos, sprays, powders, topicals

Thank you for that information Lynx, we don't have a flea problem here but our friends puppies got into some, i'll pass this information along.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you all SOOOOO much for your help!

as for my vet, he is the closest one in a 50mile radius and I can't really afford to drive else where :( Gas prices are super high where I am.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
You welcome Amandarose531 & Rachel...Glad I could help ...I love the fact these products are affordable, proven safe, effective and best of all my dogs look and feel great. Becky now uses it for all 33 of her dogs and the puppy formula for the pups. :p

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
when I first got Rico he was fed baby food from a wee jar, some meat chicken variety with nutra-cal puppy mixed onto it by spoon.....he eventually ate the puppy kibble but he was a bit pamperd through the eating at first.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you're in the U.S., you ought to report the woman you got the dog from, because it sounds like she's running a puppy mill, and there are laws against that kind of negligence and disregard for the health of potential and current pets.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts