Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys!

Has anyone made a Siggy with Paint Shop Pro 7?? If so could you please tell me how to get started?!! The program is confusing me so much!! :? I understand how all the effects stuff works but what the hell is the layers thing and how do I get the right size etc!? For example I need a background and then I need to put Lola onto it! Not the whole photo, just her! Any help would be much appreciated!! I want to work this out !! :D

Thanks
Lucie & Lola :wave:

·
Registered
897 Posts
I've used PSP for years... using PSP 9 right now. Layers are your best friend in that program. They allow you to place different objects in the image and work on them independantly without interfering with the other objects in the picture. For example, you can put the background in, add a new layer and then add a pic of Lula. You can then work with the pic of Lula (erase, colorize, etc) without interfering with the background part.

I am not always good at explaining how to do specific things. I know how to do them but translating thoughts into directions doesn't come naturally to me. LOL But if you can tell me precisely what you are wanting to do, I can try. :)

If you are wanting to cut Lula out of a photo, you can use the Lasso tool (set to freehand), trace around Lula, cut, and then paste as selection on the background image you are going to use.

I used to make graphics all the time but got away from it for awhile. Just now getting back into it a little.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. Yeah I need to know how to cut Lola from a photo and put just her on the background. But the other thing is... how do I see an overall picture of what i am creating if each bit/section is on a different layer? How do I merge them altogther to see the work in progress? And also how and at what point do I make the sizing.... for example I need it to be the average size of a banner? and also what on earth is the grid thing and do I need to use it!? :?
Thanks for your help! :D

·
Registered
897 Posts
how to cut Lola from a photo and put just her on the background.
In PSP 9, you will click on the "Selection" icon that is on the left hand side of the PSP screen. From there select the Lasso tool. (This may be in a different place in PSP 7. I can't remember) You want to set it for freehand selection. Go to your image of Lula and while holding down the left mouse button, trace around her until you have gone all the way around to the starting point. You should see the dancing white/black dots around Lula. Go to Edit --> Cut and then Edit --> Paste as new image. Now you can use the eraser tool (size set to 1) to clean up any jagged edges around her picture you just cut out.

how do I see an overall picture of what i am creating if each bit/section is on a different layer?
There should be a window that shows all the different layers you have on the image. If you click on the top most layer, it will show you the whole shebang.

How do I merge them altogther to see the work in progress?
When you are done working with the layers, go to Layers --> Merge --> Merge All/Flatten

how and at what point do I make the sizing.... for example I need it to be the average size of a banner?
The sizing is the first thing you will do. Open a new image either clicking the "New Image" icon (looks like a white piece of paper with the corner folded over) or by going to File - New. A window will pop open and you can enter the width and height of the image. The rest of the settings there can be left alone. For example, the sig that was made for me is 400px width and 125px height.

and also what on earth is the grid thing and do I need to use it!?
I can honestly say I have never used the grid thing. Gets in my way. So no... you don't need to use that. It is just sometimes helpful when placing things I guess. I prefer to leave it off.

So basically, you will open a new image the size you want. Fill it with the background you want. Add a new layer. cut out the Lula and paste her into the new image as a new selection. You can then use the mover tool (looks like crosshairs and is on the left hand side of screen near top) to position her exactly where you want her to be if necessary. Go to selections --> Select None. You can then apply any effect you want or merge the layers together as mentioned.

Let me know if none of that makes sense. Makes sense in my own head but may lose a little in the translation. LOL

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh great! That's brilliant! I'll have a try of everything you explained to me later on then if I get stuck I'll ask you!! :D Thanks so much! :D It makes a bit more sense now! Before I was just stuck and confronted with all this options and nothing worked right!! lol!

·
Registered
897 Posts
My pleasure. :) It's hard to remember the layout of PSP 7 compared to PSP 9 so things may be in different places but all the tools should be there. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts