Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Frasier is a non-discriminatory paper eater. He likes all kinds.. toilet paper, paper towel, tissue, newspaper, bank reciepts, and card board.

He'll swallow if I'm not quick enough. Toilet paper and paper towel seem to pass right through. He's eaten two bank receipts, they seemed to go in one end and.. well.. never come out the other. :? Card board he just chews up and spits out.

How much do you worry over your puppy eating paper?

I am not looking to just relax and let him eat it. But, I would like to not live in fear of him falling over dead every time it happens.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
My oldest dog, Luna (2years old), LOVES paper too!

I really don't know how bad it can be :? ....all I do is try to keep an eye on her and don't leave tissues-receipts or anything around the house.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
All of mine LOVE paper too! In a chihuahua book I read (can't remember the name of it) it said that chihuahuas love to make confetti. :lol: I believe it! I just try to keep all paper out of their reach. At one time we even had to keep the bathroom doors closed because Annabelle would go in there grab the toilet paper and run as far as she could. :shock: Then she would start shredding it. Thank goodness she doesn't do that anymore.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Tucker loves paper of all types and cardboard, too. And he does manage to eat some of it. I don't worry about it too much, though I have wondered about the calorie content! :wink:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Well, Chili loves to make confetti, too. Luckily, he doesn't eat it, just shreds it. We considered just making him afraid of paper by getting a large rolled-up newspaper and shaking it at him when he touched paper. We decided against it simply because 1) he wasn't eating the paper and 2) I would rather my family just learn to pick the paper up out of his reach anyway. :lol:
If Frasier is eating the paper, it can't be good for him. I don't want to scare you, at all, but be aware that a lot of inks nowadays are very toxic. When I had sugar gliders, we did a lot of research and found that in many states, newsprint is loaded with arsenic. Plus, you have the secondary fear of a wad of paper getting stuck in his esophagus or bowels. There are a lot of deterrent methods to use -- obviously, keeping all paper out of his reach is a good start. But I have kids (and a husband -- who is probably worse than the kids!), so I know that is not always as easy as it sounds. You can make him afraid of paper. Use a big, rolled up piece of newspaper to either threaten punishment or actually deliver it (depending on your views, of course). Get a watergun and whenever you catch him even looking at paper (you could even set up temptation for him) squirt him. And of course, all other forms of discipline work -- loud noise, standard "NO", etc.
I used to have a pica craving for paper when I was about 5-6. My parents tried everything they could think of to get me to stop eating paper, and it turned out that I was anemic. I don't know if this is at all relavent to the situation at hand, but who knows?
Good luck!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Charlie loves paper...especially facial tissue or toilet paper...and confetti is exactly what it looks like when he's done :)
I usually try to keep it away from him or get it away quickly before he eats it, he's eaten a bit of it but I'm not really worried about it, tissue kind of dissolves in water anyway and there aren't any inks on it. I've fished a few paper wads out of him mouth though. ewww.

-Jessi :flower:

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
toiletpaper

OMG cosmo is soooooo obsessed with toiletpaper. as soon as he sees some paper he's gone with it......and yes that results in confetti!!!!! :lol:

kisses nat

1 - 8 of 8 Posts