Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to paper train their older dog that is accustomed to going outside? And been successful? If so, how did you do it? The reason I ask is my bf and i just bought a new place (townhouse) and the balcony that Sadie was supposed to go peepee on is only about 5 feet above the ground. Anyone could jump on the balcony and take her. So, I was thinking about trying to paper train her. It would be much easier during the rainy season too. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
you could just get some puppy pads and put them by the door she will ust to go out to pee of and just try her and see if she will go there once shes used it a couple of times and you have praised her etc you wont have a problem :wave:

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually did put pads down by the door she goes out to pee because it was raining these past few days and she had a few accidents in the house but she didn't go on the pads. She instead chose to go on the carpet. I think this is going to be very difficult as she is very picky about where she goes to the bathroom. *sigh*

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
all else I can suggest is put the pad where she likes to go in the house and gradually once she has the idea start moving it towards wehere you want her to use it :wave:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Dobbie and paper training

When I brought him home from the Houston SPCA, I bought some tinkle pads and he was OK with them, but preferred to pee on a towel. The next batch, I bought the "puppy training" pads and they work great with him, both for pee and poop. According to the advertising on them, they have a "smell" that dogs like.

Dobbie loves to go outside for walks (and he does his business while out there) but he also uses his pads. We walk three times a day (very short pee break before work, longer walk at 5:30 and also at 10:00 PM) but the pads are always out for him. (Hey, if I have to get up in the middle of the night to go pee, why shouldn't he be able to go pee too?)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts