Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may sound like a stupid question, but is there such a thing as a quick and fool proof way of paper training a 2 1/2 month old chihuahua? He is the first 'puppy' I've ever owned, all my other dogs were older when I got them, So needless to say I have no idea how to propery paper train a dog, and no idea about what ages I should start to expect them to learn things.

Jerseygirl :flower:

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
its just perciverance , if he is confined to where you are firstly put the paper (pads are alot better and less mess) nearby and when he gives you the signs he needs to go keep picvking him up and puitting him on the paper and really praise him when he gets it right - if he gets it wrong just ignore him, then start moving the paper slowly to the door you want him to go out of to use the toilet (thats if you plan to house train him eventually ) at first it is hard work and alot of perciverance but they soon catch on, he should need a number 1 every hour to hour and a half, straight after eating, drinking, playing and sleeping,an until he is bigger a good rule is they can hold their bladder for as many hours as they are months old hope this helps

Finally welcome :wave:

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
with my pit i praised him whenever he peed or pood and i said good boy good pee pee or poo poo, and when we would be outside and i'd be waiting on him i'd say go pee pee go poo poo he'd do it. he only wee wee pad trained for a day and then he would go to the pad and cry to go out.

welcome :wave: and good luck!

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
I heard never to scold them, that it was just as effective to ignore bad behaviour and only praise good and they soon get the idea - lol but your the expert over me :lol:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
ozzysmom said:
I heard never to scold them, that it was just as effective to ignore bad behaviour and only praise good and they soon get the idea - lol but your the expert over me :lol:
This is what I have read and heard also. Unless you actually witness the accident, it is best to just clean up and ignore it? So anyone know which is actually better?

Patience and persistance are the keys to housebreaking. I use the training pads rather than papers - much better, and they don't normally leak through onto the floor as newspaper sometime will.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
when caught in the act they should be told no. pee pee (or poo poo) HERE. said while putting them on the pad. never when you didn't witness it cause it confuses them, and taking them over to it later when you finally do see it and trying to scold them for it also confuses them cause they don't remember they did it (so i've heard) and will think they are being scolded from whatever they were doing when you first grabbed them. and never ever stick their nose in it, that isn't effective either.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I personally set up a routine they were acquired put in crate or pen with paper and bedding soon as i got up in am i let them out...said, c'mon gotta go pee pee's waited till they did their thing and praised as they were doing it. also had paper on the floor in kitchen (no rugs to clean lol) brought them back in fed and watered them and waited 20 min to half hour and back outside same thing as above. during the day every hour i would ask you wanna go pee pees pick them up and put them on the paper or place outside depending on the weather. if they started making signs of going i would say no pickem up and put them on the paper or outside, u do pee pees on the paper or u do pee pees outside. I would feed them on a schedule and not leave food and water down all day. once they got the potti training down then i free fed them :D It takes alot of consistancy & patience. but start as early as you can

1 - 8 of 8 Posts