Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My chi Chloe who I am picking up on Wednesday from her breeder comes with papers. I've never had a dog with papers before, so I was wondering what do I do to get her registered? Also, if she is only going to be a pet. She is not going to be bred or showed. Then would it matter if I registered her or not? Are there any benefits?

Thanks everyone for always being great and answering me questions!

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
You will go on AKC's website and it is easy to follow. I registered all 3 girls this way. I it is $30 to register them with a basic registration.

The paper she comes with will have codes on it that you need to enter and it will link back and populate to how the breeder registered the litter and your new baby.

You can have a primary owner and a secondary owner. Since I did the registering I made myself primary!

There will be color codes to match the color of your little one. With 2 of mine the color was clear. I asked here those who show and breed to get affirmation on what I should choose on the one I was not certain.

Here is a link so that you can read a bit before you actually have the paperwork to get going:
Registering a Dog

My girls are just pets (no breeding, no showing) but they are purebred Chis eligible for AKC registration so I registered them.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
This is what the AKC certificate and pedigree looks like. I never sent in Olivias so i have to use one from my Staffy Bulls. This is what they will be sending you if you get the pedigree option, but if you just choose the certificate you will only get the white paper.
Its always a good idea to register them. I like being able to see where my dog has come from and research their lineage.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I did not get Pedigree on any of mine. I should order them. It would be fun to have.

Hope's sire is named Matt Damon. So I can tell people that Matt Damon is my baby daddy. haha!

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I will also add that a lot of breeders tout "comes with papers" and then some here have gotten a puppy and then discovered that they were APRI, ACA or CKC (Continental Kennel Club-NOT Canadian Kennel Club which is certainly legitimate) registered.

Those registrations would not be worth registering with as they are not legitimate organizations.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will also add that a lot of breeders tout "comes with papers" and then some here have gotten a puppy and then discovered that they were APRI, ACA or CKC (Continental Kennel Club-NOT Canadian Kennel Club which is certainly legitimate) registered.

Those registrations would not be worth registering with as they are not legitimate organizations.
Oh thanks! I'm not sure what kind of papers they are yet. That is good to know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts