Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, last week my 4 year old chihuahua jumped onto the sofa which he had always done but this time it hurt. He yelped so we figured maybe it was just a kink in his neck. He walked around fine. Just afraid to jump. A day or two later he would yelp from pain but still walked around. Took him to the vet an they saw nothing in xrays an blood tests were normal. They dont have a mri scan so we couldnt see his spinal cord. A day later his hind legs became weak where he would stumble an wobble. Thanksgiving evening he was paralyzed on his rears. He couldnt stand up or move his legs at all. The past two days he has been wanting to lift his rear up but cant. Its more of a hop. When he urinates we hold his legs up an he can stand on them now but then they collapse. He urinates an goes the number 2. His tail curls up when doing so. He can feel his lower back, tail, legs an feet. The doctor has him on prednisone. Once a day 2.5mg in case he has inflammation. Does this sound like a slip or ruptured disc? Last night he cried all night. I feel sad and bad for him :(

·
Registered
732 Posts
Take him to a chiropractor and get him adjusted. I can't tell you how often a pet has come into our office with same symptoms and a tale of a bad jump off the bed or couch, etc. They get adjusted once or twice and they are good to go.

Seriously, call a chiropractor. And the chiropractor will be WAY cheaper than the vet - between $30 - 50, depending where you live. Many of them would do it for free. I know we do.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take him to a chiropractor and get him adjusted. I can't tell you how often a pet has come into our office with same symptoms and a tale of a bad jump off the bed or couch, etc. They get adjusted once or twice and they are good to go.

Seriously, call a chiropractor.
Hi, does that require leaving him over night or hows that work? Only chiropractor close is 2hrs away.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Aww poor baby! I don't have any experience with this so I can't offer any help, but I hope your little guy is feeling better soon! Nothing worse in the world than a pup in pain and not being able to fix it :(

·
Registered
732 Posts
Im by uvalde texas
Texas is a HUGE chiropractic state because there are two chiropractic universities there. You should have no problem finding a chiropractor. We lived in Texas for many years as hubby went to chiropractic school there. There are at least ten chiropractors within 20 minutes of Uvalde. Start calling them and find one to adjust your dog who is suffering.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im by uvalde texas
Texas is a HUGE chiropractic state because there are two chiropractic universities there. You should have no problem finding a chiropractor. We lived in Texas for many years as hubby went to chiropractic school there. There are at least ten chiropractors within 20 minutes of Uvalde. Start calling them and find one to adjust your dog who is suffering.
I cant find any dog chiropractors in this area. Just the vet which didnt offer it

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
This dog needs a chiropractor. I also would confine him to a pen/crate. The more he aggravates his back, the worse it becomes. Please don't wait. I would also ask for a pain medication for him. Good luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This dog needs a chiropractor. I also would confine him to a pen/crate. The more he aggravates his back, the worse it becomes. Please don't wait. I would also ask for a pain medication for him. Good luck.
Do you think itll be ok to have a chiro work on him even though the vet showed nothing in xray? Like what if itsserious an chiro makes it worse by squeezing an rubbing his back if its a ruptured disc etc?? Im scared he'llbe in worse pain

·
Registered
732 Posts
I cant find any dog chiropractors in this area. Just the vet which didnt offer it
No, they're not DOG chiropractors - they're just regular chiropractors. Call them, explain what is going on and ask if they'll see your dog. Most of them will see your dog but it will likely be at the very end of the day when other patients are not in the office due to allergies etc.

Just call one and talk to the receptionist and tell them you want your dog adjusted.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Do you think itll be ok to have a chiro work on him even though the vet showed nothing in xray? Like what if itsserious an chiro makes it worse by squeezing an rubbing his back if its a ruptured disc etc?? Im scared he'llbe in worse pain
Subluxation (misalignment of the spine) is VERY hard to see on x-ray and most vets do NOT have enough radiography education hours to see it. Chiropractors DO have that experience at reading x-rays. But it doesn't matter - a chiropractor can feel the spine and tell if it's subluxated.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Subluxation (misalignment of the spine) is VERY hard to see on x-ray and most vets do NOT have enough radiography education hours to see it. Chiropractors DO have that experience at reading x-rays. But it doesn't matter - a chiropractor can feel the spine and tell if it's subluxated.
I may be in luck. Found a chiro she does work on horses an other animals an dogs are one of them. Told her his symptoms an said its good he can stillfeel when i touch his legs tail an lower back an how it happens a lot with small dogs jumping on furniture. I just hope he doesnt go through more pain or it makes him worse than it already is

·
Registered
42 Posts
I hope she will be ok, seek a vet that has chiropractic experience or a doggie chiropractor..
IF she has to be calm after treatment, you can brew some chamomile tea, I brew it heavy,it helps them sleep more to relax, allowing the injury to heal....I use it a lot on injured puppies and kittens that I foster through the shelter since they're too small for pain meds.. It's safe..

Sasha and Amber and Bitsy all have back issues but they're aged 12- 15 yrs.. Once in a while they will mis step outside on on the tile and throw their backs out.. Vet uses some sort of trigger spring loaded tool along their backs and it helps, then puts them on prednizone.. Amber threw her back out so badly, she couldn't move her back legs, scared us she was paralyzed,but with treatment and pred, she got much better..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When is your appointment?
Waiting for her to call back

I hope she will be ok, seek a vet that has chiropractic experience or a doggie chiropractor..
IF she has to be calm after treatment, you can brew some chamomile tea, I brew it heavy,it helps them sleep more to relax, allowing the injury to heal....I use it a lot on injured puppies and kittens that I foster through the shelter since they're too small for pain meds.. It's safe..

Sasha and Amber and Bitsy all have back issues but they're aged 12- 15 yrs.. Once in a while they will mis step outside on on the tile and throw their backs out.. Vet uses some sort of trigger spring loaded tool along their backs and it helps, then puts them on prednizone.. Amber threw her back out so badly, she couldn't move her back legs, scared us she was paralyzed,but with treatment and pred, she got much better..
Thanks michelle. How long was her treatment to get her walking again?

I cant afford a mri or surgery an dont want to put him to sleep.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Waiting for her to call back

Thanks michelle. How long was her treatment to get her walking again?

I cant afford a mri or surgery an dont want to put him to sleep.
The "trigger spring loaded tool" Michelle talks about is called an activator and it is used by Chiropractors. A vet really shouldn't (and isn't legally allowed) to use it unless they also have a Chiropractic Doctorate. ;)

Most vets don't have activators because they have zero idea about Chiropractic.

·
Registered
42 Posts
She moved a little better that first day, but it took at least a week before any big improvements..She had the trigger thing and then they did heat massage.. The muscles in her back had spasmed and caused her temporary immobility of her legs. She was dragging them behind her like she was paralyzed..
IT took three weeks and 6 treatments before she was back to normal..
I hope that's all that it takes for your baby.. Definitely see what a vet says, we had xrays done so he saw no damage, she had feeling in her legs and toes..

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hope he's okay. Glad to hear you're trying to get him in to see a chiropractor. My mother knows someone who is a chiropractor and has told me a lot of stories about animals having hurt backs and how the chiropractor was able to help.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts