Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents left yesterday (from US west coast) for Amsterdam (staying there tonight) then on to a 2 week cruise thru Scandinavia & Russia.

My mother has ALS - also known as Lou Gehrig's Disease & Motor Neurone Disease (in the UK), so it is extrodinary for them to go on such a long trip. They left our airport yesterday at 11am (PST) and landed in Amsterdam 9am their time - or 12 midnight (PST) so 12 hours on planes with an hour between in Chicago, which I would think would be the most difficult part of the trip. My aunt also went along with them, so she will be able to help out my dad and go out on excursions with him that my mom would not be up for.

Typically my mom sits/rests in their family room and has enough strength to take her wheely-walker across the room to the bathroom and back to her chair - and that's about it. She has not been able to speak since the 1st of the year, and not eatten (orally) since March. Prior to having a feeding tube put in, she'd lost about 1/2 her body weight in a 6-9 month window due to the limited amount of things she was able to swallow. By the time they return, she will have an electric wheelchair here.

Please wish them well.

Here's a camera phone pix of them last month, the first day I had Tico.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I wish your parents the best on their trip. My mother has MS and loves to travel. I always worry about her when they're out because she doesn't get around well and it's my job to worry about her. :)

But I'm sure they'll enjoy their trip - just think of all the wonderful things they'll get to see. Plus, if you can't live life, what's the point? She may have ALS but she is enjoying things while she can still do them. I applaud her courage to go forward like that. :)

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
I don't mean to be a downer but this is making me all weepy. :cry: Bless your mom for getting on with her life. Bless your dad too, for sharing her burden (I know that's what good spouses do). I'll be praying that everything goes smoothly and that they have the best time of their entire lives. They sound like lovely people and you should feel very proud of them both. Big {{{{{hugs}}}}}, as this has to be difficult for you too.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you all... I know it'll be good for her to be able to see something besides her house; I just wish it would have been a couple months ago when she had more strength.
And just being out of contact for that long is scary... I guess I expect the worst. :cry:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
It probably won't make you worry any less but I know from my parents' cruise in the French Polynesian Islands last year, the cruise ships have very knowledgeable medical staff onboard in case of emergency. My mother had a problem related to her MS and the doctor was very helpful in getting her medications, etc. Hopefully your parents won't need to find that out, but it's nice to know for those of us left here on land. :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
That's fantastic, your parents are living their life, seeing the world and working with the strengths they have - I'm sure they'll have a wonderful time full of memories, but I'm also sure that they'll be so excited to see you & Tico again when they get home! :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
i wish your parents both well. this will be very exciting for your mom. dont worry about the cruise. my brother and sister have a similar disorder and make a wish sent them on a cruise and the staff on cruises are very understanding and helpful..im sure they'll have a great relaxing time. :wink:

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
What a wonderful loving family you are. You are all very blessed to have one another and I'm so glad your Mum, Dad & Aunt are taking the cruise. I'm sure they'll have the best of care for your Mum and it will be so good for all of them. Those are such beautifully special photos. :)

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Rachael Polachek said:
I don't mean to be a downer but this is making me all weepy. :cry: Bless your mom for getting on with her life. Bless your dad too, for sharing her burden (I know that's what good spouses do). I'll be praying that everything goes smoothly and that they have the best time of their entire lives. They sound like lovely people and you should feel very proud of them both. Big {{{{{hugs}}}}}, as this has to be difficult for you too.
Yes I agree, I hope they have a great time. :)

The carpet comment is very funny! :lol:

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I want to thank you all for your kind thoughts. I really appriciate it.
Unfortunately, my mother passed away while sleeping yesterday. My dad mentioned to my sister that he thought this is what she intended to happen since planning the trip, and she did not want to die at home.
My dad first said they would be getting off the ship at the next port, Tallinn Estonia, and fly home from there... but later when talking to a family friend, said they would stay aboard for the remainder of the cruise & would have a memorial service at a future date.
My mother wished to be cremated & it was suggested to him to have that done in Copenhagen instead of having her body flown back to the states.

Here's a photo of my mom again with tico. She was 56 years old.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Goldie, I can't begin to tell you how sorry I am. I'm sitting here crying for your mom, your dad, for you. It's very likely your mom knew exactly what she was doing so I'm glad it turned out as she wished. She's at peace now and free of suffering.

I think it's a lovely gesture in her honor that your dad and aunt are going to finish the cruise.

Your mom was only a year older than me. She was robbed of so many years and her family has been robbed of so many memories. I hope the happier times are all you remember in the weeks and months to come. Please accept my sincere and heartfelt condolences. :cry:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I was so sorry to read your post about your mom. I hope it will be a comfort to you to know she did not let her disease rule her life, and was getting as much joy out of her remaining time as possible.

I admire her for not giving up. So many people do when faced with a terminal illness.

You and your family are in my thoughts. God bless.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. Your mother was a woman of courage and strength to be able to get on that ship and I'm happy for her that things ended just the way she wanted them to. Your father and aunt are amazing people and I hope they are able to enjoy the rest of the cruise celebrating your mother's life.

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
:cry: I am so sorry for your loss. :cry:

I seen your siggy in another thread and PM'd you about it, then I'd thought I'd check this thread. Again, I am so sorry. :cry: :cry:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts