Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I have some sad news. I just got Kasper January 30 and he was a lively, happy 10 week old puppy for a the whole week that I had him. I took him to his first vet appointment on February 6 and he got his second drontal and bordetella intranasal at that time. The vet said he was a healthy puppy after his evaluation. I took him home and he was sleepy and I figured it was just the vet visit. Then Saturday and Sunday he got sick and had diarrhea and couldn't hold anything down. He had no appetite and became very lethargic. Sunday night came and I did some research online... all symptoms pointing towards Parvo. I decided to take him to 24 HR emergency. They did diagnose him with a very strong case of parvo. I was heart-broken. They told me it would cost upwards of $8000 due to having to hospitalize him and all the meds... especially since he is so tiny (1 pound). I could not afford this amount of money. I had to sign him over to them and they said they will try and treat him and if he gets better they will adopt him out... although I am not allowed to contact them and find out how he is doing. I am very sad and traumatized about the whole ordeal... especially since I had lost my older chihuahua after having him for 15 years. I was finally ready to move forward with this new puppy. I only had Kasper for a week. I am going to contact the breeder and let her know. I kept Kasper in my house always and I always carried him if I took him somewhere. He didn't step foot on the ground nor was he ever around other animals. I can't imagine that I exposed him to Parvo. The vet told me the incubation period is 5-7 days. It was 7 days exactly since I brought him home to when he got sick. I am just so sad,and I know it'll get better in time, but everytime I look around my place I imagine him there ... =[

Parvo is a serious virus and I wish no one else had to ever go through this horrible ordeal again. Have any of you ever had an experience like this or know of someone who has gone through this? After this... I am questioning if I ever want to get another puppy again. I am terrified of this happening again and I can't go through it again.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I am so very sorry for your loss!
Yes parvo is highly conatgious and the number one killer of puppies and alot of people really do not realize just how important it is to take precautions.

I will say that it IS possible that he picked it up from the Vets office. I have heard of this before and from my understanding there are a few articles out there that even say that it is airborne? Also if the vets office didnt not clean their floors, table or scales after an infected dog was in the office then it could easily be contracted that way as well:-( Hopefully your breeder will be honest with you and let you know if any other puppies were sick so you will know.

As for the vets office. I have heard that dogs can be diagnosed wrong for Parvo as the test will show up positive once a dog has had the first vaccine. That is just something else to think aobut.

$8000.00 sounds very steep to me. In my area it cost upwards to $2000.00 to treat it and no guarantees.

Also please keep in mind that you would have to bleach your home and yard thoroughly and it still may not kill all of the infectious bacteria. I have heard that you should not get another puppy for 6 months to a year. If you dont want to wait and want to fill the void now then maybe you could rescue an older chi that needs a home. Just make sure that they have had the full series of vaccines ;-)

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Oh i am so sorry for your loss
Thank-you for sharing your story
I hope no-one else has to go through the same thing it must be excrutiating x

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I am soooo sorry. My Tink got parvo right after I got her at about 8 weeks old, she was less than a pound at this time. It cost us only alittle over $500 to save her life, we didn't really have it but it was worth every penny. She spent 2 nights in the hospital and was sent home with meds afterwards and it was no where near the cost you were quoted. Parvo is soooo serious, we did lose our older chi to parvo around the same time...we didn't have the $500 for her to stay at the hospital so we treated her with IV's and meds at home(cost us alittle over $200 for the home meds), but her case was so bad that she didn't make it. Again I am sorry.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I am soooo sorry. My Tink got parvo right after I got her at about 8 weeks old, she was less than a pound at this time. It cost us only alittle over $500 to save her life, we didn't really have it but it was worth every penny. She spent 2 nights in the hospital and was sent home with meds afterwards and it was no where near the cost you were quoted. Parvo is soooo serious, we did lose our older chi to parvo around the same time...we didn't have the $500 for her to stay at the hospital so we treated her with IV's and meds at home(cost us alittle over $200 for the home meds), but her case was so bad that she didn't make it. Again I am sorry.
Was your older Chi vaccinated? Or did you guys have the strain that also infected vaccinated dogs?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for all your kinds words and thoughts! I really appreciate it, and know I will get through it. Take care of your little ones!

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Ariel was completely vaccinated, she had just turned a year old in December and passed the following March, apparently according to our vet it was the other strain.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I would seriously have to question the vet that is wanting to charge you $8000 and had no heart to make you give your baby up and said they would adopt him out if they got him well?? Sorry but I have never heard of treating parvo costing near that much! Sounds fishy to me and someone wanted to keep your puppy!

We had a similar thing here happen with a local Veternarian that told a man that he had to put his dog to sleep and the man cried like a baby. Well one of the Vet Techs told the police about it and said that the dog was alive and well and that the Veternarian was a breeder of Jack Russells and he planned to keep the dog for himself.....This was all over the News Papers and do you know that Vet still got to practice Veternarian work! The Man was contacted and got his Jack Russells back and the Vet Tech quit working for the lying jerk!

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
wow , i'm sorry for your lost.

Once a lady came into the office witha pravo puppy and my boss/vet gave her the treament half price. He made her pay for the office visit and the shot for the pravo. then he held the dog till she could pay for the meds gave her 2 weeks free boarding to come up with the cash. she came back for her puppy and over paid because she was so thankful to have her puppy.

8000 does sound fishy because i've heard of it being like 2000 BUT it might have been that high becuase it was a ER. becuase i've seen people that have ER bills in the 1000 for little work.

I'd still ask around because i'm sure there is a tech there might tell you something. once a lady gave up her dog and i told her he was oh k and she was happy to hear that.

·
Registered
380 Posts
George got Parvo a week after I brought him home. It would have cost $2000 to leave him at the vet or she told me I could take him home and care for him myself with about a 50-50 chance he would survive, which is what I did. The vet gave him fluids and an antibiotic shot. Then sent me home with a syringe to squirt water in his mouth,(which I did every hour)Nutracal and liquid antibiotics. I was lucky he lived. It took about 2 days for him to start getting better. The vet told me that they don't die from the parvo but from the dehydration from the vomiting and diarrhea. It was one of the hardest two days of my life and he was close to death. That's why he is so special to me. I am so sorry to hear about your baby. I would also question the $8000. That seems like a lot!!!

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
I'm so sorry. :(

I would see about the vet or doctor you talk to about this. It just doesn't feel right to me. And the money is way to much.

Please investigate this.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I am thinking I would call the media as well as the Veteranarian association and get to the bottom of this? If your baby lived through this you may find that you can get him back with a fraction of the cost.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
That's horrible. I want to cry....
I'm so sorry for your loss ::hugs::

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
I am thinking I would call the media as well as the Veteranarian association and get to the bottom of this? If your baby lived through this you may find that you can get him back with a fraction of the cost.
I agree.

They can't just do this. Take your dog and you can't know wants going on.

Can you tell us what vet did you you take her too. And the name of the doctor please.

We might help you here by donating money to get your Chi back. And if others know they can too. ;)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
So very sad. Did your baby survive this? My instinct tells me yes he did and as someone else said someone wanted your baby. There are some wicked people out there .

·
Registered
261 Posts
I agree.

They can't just do this. Take your dog and you can't know wants going on.

Can you tell us what vet did you you take her too. And the name of the doctor please.

We might help you here by donating money to get your Chi back. And if others know they can too. ;)
thats a lovley idea:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts