Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I have to ask is it possible for a dog to have Parvo that was diagnosed yesterday with Parvo but has been sick since wed? and still be alive today? There is a weird situation with a person I know. I have a girl that has a lab puppy that had vaccinations two weeks ago and wed. Vet did not do a test, just said they recognized the symptoms? The dog is not eating and is vomiting and has diaharea (sp?) no blood in stool until this morning at vets (so the vet says) dog is up and around still though just cant keep anything down. The people cannot afford to pay for the dog to stay at the vets but the vet says that if they will take him home and give him meds he should be better in 7 to 10 days? I have never heard such a thing?? Have you guys??

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Okay, well, yes, it is possible she has parvo. Can she get ahold of something called Parvaid? It can and does save the lives of puppies. It is about $50 and maybe she can get it somewhere locally or have it overnighted.

The biggest problem is the puppy is not getting liquids enough to replace what it is losing so if they can get a syringe and give it pedialyte 2x an hour, as well as give its stomach time to settle, they might get somewhere. They also can give it fluids under its skin themselves, which the puppy cannot throw up. But they'd need a host of clean syringes and needles and lots and lots of pedialyte...

Our puppy was sick for 4-5 days before we took it to the vet when it had Parvo (when I was younger).

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
So the puppy had vaccinations 2 weeks ago and NOW it is coming up positive for parvo? I've heard of this happening. Something about the antibodies getting activated and causing the disease in an immune deficient dog/puppy. Awful! As Kristi said.... supportive care is the key. SubQ fluids, syringe the dog with water or electrolyte solution hourly, etc. Parvaid is a life saving product, she needs to get the pup on that immediately.

Parvaid is excellent to help prevent and treat parvo puppies!

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes had the shot two weeks ago but they didnt actually test the puppy they just said it had symptoms of Parvo. She has been trying to give Pedialyte in a syringe but the dog keeps vomiting. They do not have the money for the vet so they are trying to do it at home. The Vet gave him Metocopramide 5mg twice a day and Baytril 22.7mg twice a day for home use but if he isnt keeping anything down it isnt helping. Is that the same as the Parvaid?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Can they go buy some needles/sryinges? Medical supplies might have them, or maybe the vets (altho I bet they won't sell them to you). Then what they do is at the shoulders, neck and hips they lift the skin forming a tent and basically give the puppy shots of pedialyte and maybe water but I'd stick w/ the pedialyte. The puppy CANT vomit this up and this is how they have them survive at the vets (they don't/can't "cure" parvo).

This needs to happen like, now...too. I always have several packages of needles & syringes on hand for this very reason. I can & would know if my dog needed subq fluids and I can do it just as well as the vets. I cannot provide it with an IV drip but that sounds out of the question for your friends right now anyway. But they absolutely can give it the subcutaneous fluids on their own if they can get the syringes. Maybe you can even buy them in the diabetic section @ a drug store?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Yes had the shot two weeks ago but they didnt actually test the puppy they just said it had symptoms of Parvo. She has been trying to give Pedialyte in a syringe but the dog keeps vomiting. They do not have the money for the vet so they are trying to do it at home. The Vet gave him Metocopramide 5mg twice a day and Baytril 22.7mg twice a day for home use but if he isnt keeping anything down it isnt helping. Is that the same as the Parvaid?
Can they put the meds up the puppy's bum like a suppository? I am not sure, but maybe have them call the vet and ask. Worst case is it comes back out that way, too...but maybe it's worth a try.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Parvo survival rate with or without treatment is usually about 50/50. Even with intensive care some of them still will die. The Parvaid is the best that I know of. Some vets us Tamiflu to help. Here is a website with lots of information on home care/treatment for parvo
Home Parvo Treatment ~ Healing Parvo Puppies ~ Page 1
They key is to stop the vomiting, Metoclopramide is generally pretty good, they can try Pepto Bismol as well, and if there is diarrhea, Loperimide (Anti-diarrheal) will help. They need to make sure puppy stays warm if needed put on a heating pad. Have them give him fluids orally chicken broth, pedialyte etc. See if the vet can give them injectable Metoclopramide & Baytril to give at home until the vomiting stops.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
If they decide to do subcutaneous fluids, they definitely need to have a vet show them how to do it and sell them the supplies. You can't use pedialyte as it's not sterile. It could cause an abscess. They will need a bag of Lactated Ringers or Normal Saline or 5% Dextrose (whatever the vet wants), the tubing to connect to the bag, and the butterfly needles. Some people are squeamish and unable to do this kind of intensive care at home which is understandable. But it would certainly be worth a try.

Do you have any updates on the puppy?

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
If they decide to do subcutaneous fluids, they definitely need to have a vet show them how to do it and sell them the supplies. You can't use pedialyte as it's not sterile. It could cause an abscess. They will need a bag of Lactated Ringers or Normal Saline or 5% Dextrose (whatever the vet wants), the tubing to connect to the bag, and the butterfly needles. Some people are squeamish and unable to do this kind of intensive care at home which is understandable. But it would certainly be worth a try.

Do you have any updates on the puppy?
That's good info to have, Tracy. I know a few breeders I've talked to swear by doing the pedialyte on fading puppies...hmmm won't be doing that & will have to find out more about the sterile solution for future reference.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
That's good info to have, Tracy. I know a few breeders I've talked to swear by doing the pedialyte on fading puppies...hmmm won't be doing that & will have to find out more about the sterile solution for future reference.
I have a really good recipe for fading puppies that has saved a lot of babies. I'll find it and post. Don't want to hijack this thread about parvo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts