Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was brushing Poppy last night and I noticed she has 3 little patches on her coat. The hair is slightly thinner there, and she seems to have "dandruff" in those areas. I know that Chi's have notoriously dry skin, but how do I know if this is just that or something else? She is scratching a little but not too much...also, could this be mange? Do you think I should go to the vet?
Thanks!

·
Registered
450 Posts
It could be mange, and you need to take her to the vet to have a look and possibly do a skin scraping on those patchy areas to find out the cause. Good luck! :wave:

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
That happened to Callie. They did a skin scape and it was not mange, thank goodness. She just had really, really dry skin. The vet gave me some Omega Fatty Acid oil to put on her food once a day and her coat is looking great now. I also got a good mosturizing shampoo for her and once put a little of that oil on her. :oops: It really did the trick. She's beautiful again. 8) I would get it checked out if I were you. It could be mange or just dry skin but you won't know until it's checked. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
I thought Kemo had mange when he had his first shed and it wasnt, he went bald in a few places............he was scraped too. Hope poppy is ok :(

·
Registered
810 Posts
Hi! My pup has patches of thinning hair and it is caused from stress, he was very tiny at birth and had a few hypoglycemic episodes and the vet said this was normal, well, I admit it scared me too when the breeder told me!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts