Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mr Nacho's got stepped on outside by my tot so we took him to the vet. The vet said he has Patella Luxation and needs it repaired. :confused: I'm baffeld because what ever happened to him was done outside and previous to that he had no signs of the 'floating knee cap' thing. He seems to be okay today.. should I get a 2nd op? He had a physical at the 1st of the year, why if he had this disease, couldn't it have been detected then? She said it's stage a one and the surgery can be done on both. I don't have $800 but I can put it on a credit card if 'needed'. Sigh...

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I would definitely get a second opinion. With an orthopedist if possible. Stage 1 can usually be managed without surgery. Is he limping?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He isnt limping anymore.. that lasted about two days off and on. I wasn't at the dr appt because I was at working so I would have asked a to z questions, ugh. Thanks for your advice, I will when I get the extra money!

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Usually, a dog that is not skipping, limping or otherwise showing signs of discomfort they leave alone. With a grade 1, the knee rarely comes out, and only with manipulation by the vet. My little one had both knees done by 18 months. She had a grade two, and was showing signs of pain. My Nuggie, (rip) also had both knees done also. Again lots of whining, limping etc. So really, if this pup only has a grade 1, I'd either get an ortho app't, or wait and see when he gets symptoms. Sue

1 - 4 of 4 Posts