Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Evening,

We just took Che Che to the Vet. The yesterday he was limping around. I freaked out because I thought he hurt himself from jumping up down from my bed. (I'm in the process of creating a ramp). Well I took him to VET today and found out he has bilateral Patella Luxation Grade II. My VET referred us to Specialty VET. I called to find out an estimate on the surgery since my VET said it would be a few hundred. I'm thinking $500-800. NO $2300 dollars. That is alot of money (please no lecturing on you should be prepared to for the cost of having an animal) I can afford the normal VET visit, doggy perks, but $2300 is out of my means. I guess I should have gotten pet insurance. (Is it to late since this is already a precondition?) I plan to contact my VET tomorrow and find out if there other providers with in my means. What happens if this goes untreated? The doctor gave me meds for Che Che to take for two weeks to see if there are changes. Is there natural treatment.?

Thanks in advance for your feedback

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
STOP!! Don't pay that much -- that's absolutely crazy to charge you that kind of money. Cooper has grade IV luxations in both legs (well, now just one) and my vet only charged me $600 for the first surgery ... and gave me a discount because he'll be having the second surgery soon.

I'd suggest you call other vets in the area, get quotes on what they'd charge and see if there's a difference in price. That's just freakin' nuts to charge you that much money.

P.S. I do recommend pet insurance. I have it on my two and it's a life saver in some cases.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am sorry to hear about Che Che's condition. I know how frustrating it is when the tests and surgeries are soo expensive. Ralphie's ALT levels are high which was causing seizures and to get one test done cost $600.00 (and they recommended two of those). I am thinking about getting insurance, might be something for you also.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
I think a lot of the cost depends in the area that you live in, you didn't say where you live.

I live in Maryland and the estimate the surgeon gave me was $1,600 per knee. Of coarse it ran higher. Koke still has to get her left knee done. I have been putting it off because she has some other health issues that I wanted to clear up before the surgery and she wasn't limping. But she has started limping recently, so it looks like it will get done within the next couple of months anyway.

You really don't want to NOT have it done becuase it can cause serious malformations and serious authritis. There is no alternative "cure" and the longer you put if off the more damage to the bone and ligaments there will be. So it could just end up being a more extensive surgery and costing more.

You would be better off looking for a different vet to do the surgery.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Yikes! That is expensive! But I know what you mean... seems like any surgeries or treatments for our friends are expensive.. we have been vetting all summer with Eddy so I know what you mean!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
YIKES!!! Thats WAY to much money to be charging. Even if someone were to prepare for an emergency, I highly doubt they'd have $2,300 extra to spend. I would definitely call around to different vets, because it seems like that one is trying to rip you off. It's really sad knowing that there are people out there who'd take advantage of someone because they know how important their pets are. If someone told me $2,300 I'd probably laugh in their face. I'm positive you can find a vet who won't charge that much.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your feedback

Thanks for your feedback. I was given a couple of more numbers. So, I will check on them on Monday. I live in Seattle, WA.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts