Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Bailey stopped putting weight on his leg this week so I took him to the vet. He didn't appear to be in any pain but obviously something was wrong. He needs surgery for his left hind leg. :(

He must have been popping his knee in and out for some time now because the vet said the groove was completely worn away. She couldn't even put his knee back and have it stay put. He's 8 years old and I wonder how long this has been an issue!

Sad part is that the vet won't allow a payment program so the surgery will have to wait. I hate that. You'd think they would work with you on something like this. The longer he waits, the more damage we risk. So, I'm keeping him calm and crated until I can scrape together the money for his operation. :(
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,940 Posts
Start him on joint supplements ASAP. We use Glycoflex II, others on here use a variety of things.

More vets than not seem "surgery hungry". Get a second opinion, and go from there. Try the supplements for 1-2 months first, before surgery to see if there is improvement.

Bryco's breeder told us that you shouldn't ever let a vet tell you you need some $1500 dollar surgery for LP and just go with it. Taking a few months to assess it isn't going to really cause any more damage in the long run.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. They put him on joint supplements today. She said he needed surgery because there was no groove left. She put the knee back and the minute he moved, it popped right back out. He's hopping around on 3 legs and I'm afraid he's going to do damage to something else. But, it's just not financially feasible to do the surgery in the next 6-8 weeks. I hope nothing worse happens. Has anyone ever had something like this that corrected itself? From the explanation the vet gave, it seemed like surgery was our only option.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,123 Posts
quite a few chis on here have had luxating patella surgery recently
you can just do a quick at the top and some threads will come up that you might find useful
My chi Jet was one of those chis that had the surgery. He had it about 15 weeks ago and all went well
good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
588 Posts
Thanks. They put him on joint supplements today. She said he needed surgery because there was no groove left. She put the knee back and the minute he moved, it popped right back out. He's hopping around on 3 legs and I'm afraid he's going to do damage to something else. But, it's just not financially feasible to do the surgery in the next 6-8 weeks. I hope nothing worse happens. Has anyone ever had something like this that corrected itself? From the explanation the vet gave, it seemed like surgery was our only option.
If surgery is indeed your only option, you may look in to care credit. It is a credit card specifically for unexpected vet bills. I know my roommate needed it when her dog needed a 2000.00 shoulder surgery.

http://www.carecredit.com/vetmed/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
200 Posts
My chi Rico just had this surgery 3 weeks ago. I tried supplements and waited 9 weeks but it only got worse. So he really did need for it to be corrected. He is still recovering, but doing well!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Hi everyone. I wanted your opinion. I have a chi who is 5yrs old..has patella luxation in both knees..but much worse in her right. I have brought her to the vet b/c she had started limping now and then..this was last yr. I started her on a food with glucosamine reccomended by the vet..however no improvement. The vet said to not get the surgery until she absolutely needed it..which I appreciate..but she is now limping every day..and not able to go out and enjoy walks like she used t0 :-( At all..She's only 5 and acting like 10+..Should I go to a different vet? or go straight to an ortho person to get her looked at..I really don't wanna have the surgery..but at this point I can't tell if she's limping b/c she is in pain or if its just out of place...in any case..its clearly uncomfortable :-(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,831 Posts
Yes, I would definitely get a second opinion for certain. I also highly recommend you not going to anyone but an orthopedic surgeon if she does need surgery. Best of luck. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,441 Posts
Glucosamine can only do so much. If the groove is completely worn away, no amount of glucosamine is going to help. In Bailey's case, I think he needs surgery and the sooner the better. If you can get the care credit card, you can pay it off over time.

imutodd, I think you answered your own question. If your dog has to limp in order to walk and is acting twice as old as she is, then I would definitely consider the surgery. The amount of glucosamine that is in food is not a therapeutic dosage, so I'm not suprised that didn't work. Yes, go to an orthopedic specialist and have a consultation.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top