Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if any exists and where can I buy it? Elvis will probably NEVER go outside again. I finally coaxed him outdoors, he'd been using paper for pottying as it got colder and he went out for a minute this morning and came in screaming in pain. He couldn't walk and he was shaking. I cleaned his paws and warmed them.
I don't know if it was the ice melt or the cold. Boots aren't an option as he normally uses the doggie door when we're at work and boots can't stay on all the time.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link although there aren't any stores that carry it near me they do have it available at the petco website.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As it turns out, it's the cold on his paws, not the ice melter. :~( It's going to be a long long long winter.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I am soooo with you on the long winter part.... It has been a constant battle to get Milo to potty outside lately! I posted a thread in the chi chat or chi questions section about my frustrations. Milo has pretty much spent the last couple of weeks corralled inn the kitchen because of his refusal to potty outside. It is definitely going to be a very long winter!!!!!

Nine

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
unfortunatly this is very common...think about it...when its freezing outside or theres even snow on the ground...do YOU want to be out there barefoot...
unfortunatly the only ways i can think of helping is to either deal with puppy pads...

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've had lots of dogs in Iowa though and this is the only one I've ever had a problem with. Surely chi's cant' have thinner foot pads than other small dogs. Or do they?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I bought some dog safe ice melter at Target a few weeks ago. I can't remember what brand though. It didn't really do a whole lot though...still had ice everywhere!

I usually have to drag my chis out when its really cold, then they either won't go or they'll go really quickly! Stewie is super pathetic! He'll get out in the yard, then stop & sit up on his but so his feet aren't touching the ground. Then I have to go get him! And yes, I have done it without shoes...not an option I prefer! I think I would do the same if I was him! lol

·
Registered
224 Posts
Here's some tips for you:

Baby oil rubbed on and between the pads helps keep pads pliable and eliminate ice build-up when snow and slush cover the ground or sidewalks.

Not for shorthairs, but if you have a long-hair chi, keep the hair between your dog’s toes and pads clipped short, even with the bottom of the foot, because when the hair is left too long, snow sticks to it, forming ice balls that are uncomfortable and hard to remove.

Long hair between the pads also reduces traction, making it easier for your dog to slip and hurt himself on the ice.

Nail care is important. If they are too long they'll reduce traction, forcing him to walk on the backs of his feet, splaying his toes. The greater the space between his toes, the more snow will pack up between them.

HTH! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts