Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone

does paw size have anything to do with the size your chi will be fully grown? Only because i know with some dogs they have big paws and grow into them so as puppys they have paws which are totally out of proportion?

also does anyone trim the hairs in between their chis pads? Thinking about doing daisy as they're getting long!!

just wondering?

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
I have thought about this too with Darla.
Her front paws are quite chunky looking.
My vet did say when he first saw her at 8 weeks old that she would be bigger than Daisy too.
Be interesting to see if he was right.

I dont trim the hairs though, but if they were really long i may.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm so glad i'm not the only one with random thoughts. Daisy has little feet but they think she'll be 4 to 5 lb very interesting to see.

think i'll get some baby nail scissors and trim hers coz she is so majorly fluffy think they need doing. Suprising as mum was smooth coat i read that was the stronger gene!

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
if theyre long then yes i trim Fifis and around the edge to shape her foot fur becuase as you can see her fur has exploded this year lol

Mine have always had small feet and none of them are overally large

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would be interesting to see if anyone with a larger chi had big feet as babies. Think i'm gonna have to tidy daisys feet up! I just trimmed her er pubes coz they were too long!! Feet really shouldn't be a problem ha ha

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
haha lovely job :S lol In the summer i take Fifi to the groomers to get her coat sorted becuase she'd be sweltering in the heat if not! i do occasionally trim her feet and the ones around her girly bits if theyre too long and causing hassle i.e. beofre birth too

·
Registered
105 Posts
it is a good idea to trim her feet feathers if they are getting too long. i think it will still be the same for little dogs but harder to see than on big dogs so yes i think they do grow into their paws.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Daisy didn't notice be doing her bits i did it so quick! Am planning on her getting groomed but am quite happy doing it myself at mo as obviously just big fluffy puppy coat at mo think will have a paw they up when i bathe her next!

think she will have my problem then be v petite but v v heavy

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Yes, I think that it is possible to tell how large they are by their paws but you have to also look into the size of bone in the Chi. I have seen some cobby puppies that had much larger paws than a finer boned taller Chi and they stayed small cobby Chi's.

As for the feathering around the paws, I havent trimmed mine, from my understanding they are trimmed around the foot pad as the feet need remain dainty for the ring.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
haha bless shes lovely it is nice to groom them youself but i feel mine have more confidence about meeting new people and not being so attached to just me if i take them and leave them at the grooming parlour for a couple of hours

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
She's just a ball of fluff she is so tiny when she's wet or in a jumper! Lol daisy is v v v confident my vet was shocked ha ha she's not following me when i leave the room all the time now either! My baby :)

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Paw size would be somewhat of an indicator of full growth size, but other factors go into it as Michelle mentioned. Say you have a pup with larger paws. He grows up to be a 4/5 lb., more cobby body built Chi. Then you have a pup with tiny paws that grows up to be tall, long and thin and weighs 3 lbs. The shorter cobby built 4/5 lb. Chi will be smaller than the taller Chi weighing 3 lbs. with tiny paws. It would be somewhat like comparing a standard Chi to a greyhound.

I don't trim the hair in between the pads of my pups, but it's only because I'm not so sure they'd stay still long enough. :lol:

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lol thanks everyone. I assume cobby means stocky?

cheekychihuahuas - sorry don't know your name? She is and she's grown so much my little baby is a big girl who has been worn out learning to walk on a lead!! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts