Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,someone asked for a deposit before getting the puppy. I was wondering if there is a safe way to give the deposit and get my puppy. There have been some cons here in Norway where people pay deposits but never got their puppies. I have spoken to the person and she seems nice but i just need to know if there is a way to do safe payments. Accepts cheques.

Rosaria

·
Registered
289 Posts
I would say it was quite normal to expect to pay a deposit on a pup. Especially in the UK, they are so hard to come by, that if someone is willing to accept you as the new mum and has to turn away other prospective buyers, it is reasonable for you to show your willingness in buying the pup by agreeing to pay some up front. Just make sure you have had piccies of the actual pup you are getting, and her phone number and address, and it will be fine. It also doesnt make the last payment so big! :D
Best of luck finding a pup :)

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Paying a deposit is usually expected here in Canada... .after making sure that the puppy is the right one for you etc.........write in the memo line, in the same ink as the cheque was written...the fact that this is a deposit and the expected delivery date for and name the puppy. also ask for a receipt with all the pertinent info on it. good luck with getting your little chi.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Paying a deposit up front is also common here in the U.S. Just be sure you are dealing with a reputable breeder, and ask for and get a receipt which spells out in detail the total price, amount of deposit, balance due and the date which the puppy can be picked up and terms of transaction (for example, registration papers, any spay/neuter requirements, etc.).

Good luck - hope you find and get the chi you want.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
To make sure you are not getting scammed, you should do a couple things to protect yourself:

1. Do not send money to a PO Box
2. Make sure you have the breeder's personal/business address and phone number, call to make sure it works.
3. Call ahead and ask some basic breed-specific questions. Any good breeder would be able to answer them, and if they can't, they either aren't breeders, or they aren't great ones in which case I wouldn't put a deposit on one of ther pups anyways.
4. When you send the money, get a certified bank money order where you can keep a reciept. Make a copy of the actual money order as well.
5. Ship it with tracking and signature confirmation, in the US, we'd use Fedex or UPS, or USPS with signature confirmation so that you can make sure the last name of the person who signed for it, is the same person you made the money order out to.
6. This may be unnecessary, but I always ask for a copy of the driver's license of the person I'm sending money to, especially for internet transactions. They should have no problem faxing a copy if they are legit.

Good luck, and hopefully you'll have a pup in the next few months! Can't wait to see pictures.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts