Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read in the sticky about foods to not give your dog that it's not good to give them peanut butter. I always thought that peanut butter was fine to give and that it's a great treat. I've been giving Khorra pb in her Kong ball. I've even been told by trainers that it's a great treat and that they recommended it. :confused:

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
I put Lady's flea, tick and worm control pill within a small finger full of peanut butter, she gets that pill right down!

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I use peanut butter for medications and also to train a heel with it on a spoon. Also I have baked it into dog biscuits! A lot of people freeze it into Kongs too- but I use natural peanut butter (because there is no added sugar or salt in the brand i buy) and the oil separates if I freeze it in a kong and it gets all over my carpet.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I don't know, I am extremely, deathly allergic to peanuts and peanut butter. But I know my parents use peanut butter to give pills sometimes, without incident.

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
I've only ever given Odie the tiniest bit of peanut butter on my finger. It's pretty high in fat, salt, etc. so I imagine not a good option for dogs with weight issues. I know you aren't supposed to give rats peanut butter because it can choke them.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have used peanut butter without any problems to give medications. String cheese also works really well. Make a little slit in a little piece of cheese and put the pill in. They will take it right down.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I give her a teeny bit on occasion. She loves it and it is so funny watching her little tongue go in and out with such a tiny bit. Nothing has happened to her but still you should be careful not to give too much of it as it was made for humans.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's good for a high value treat in small quantities but you don't want to overdo it. You can also get doggie peanut butter or natural peanut butter that doesn't have the high salt and processed sugar content that regular brands do.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone, that makes me feel better. I will still give it to Khorra occasionally as a treat in her Kong, but I won't do it too often. She really likes it.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
It's definitely not a healthy choice, but I've given it to Stella a few time with no problems. Usually just to seal up her kong.
I would argue that if you use natural peanut butter (as in only ingredient is peanuts) that it is actually a healthier choice than a lot of other kong stuffings. Of course your dog should not eat lots and lots of peanut butter (they should not eat lots and lots of anything!)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts