Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know, Poppy is a fussy eater. The other day, my son was eating peanuts and spilled some...and I found her gobbling them up on the kitchen floor!! I just read on here that peanuts are not suitable for Chi's, is this right? Is it harmful for them? And what shall I do, Poppy ate about 4 or 5 before I could stop her!! :shock:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,271 Posts
Camilla I think its probably more to do with the choking aspect same as in children eating them, you know how your parents always say make sure you chew them properly lol :lol: well a dog wouldnt do this so I assume this is why but I could be wrong - if its been a few days and she seems fine I wouldnt worry about it :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,578 Posts
according to those lists there is not much you can give your chi :shock:

like tuna...but yesterday my vet said it's very healthy but only once in a while .......the mercury is only harmful if they eat tuna for a year everyday :wink:

i think ozzysmom was right and that it's only a choking hazard :D

but i won't be giving them grapes or raisins anymore :?

kisses nat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,210 Posts
Peanuts are ok, they eat Peanut Butter, there are other nuts that are bad, like macadamians etc they have something in the oil.........do not fret about Peanuts, I have given them to Bindi and like I said Kongs are often stuffed with peanut butter.

Give a kiss to that sweetie! :D
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,271 Posts
see it must juts be tyhe choking thing eating whole nuts but Im sure she would of choked by now if she was gonna - she must of listened to mommy and chewed it properly lol :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Phew thanks for the reassurances guys!
I think youre right Clare, it must be the choking hazard.She really loves them so perhaps she will still be allowed the occaisional one or two if she is sitting still and not racing around! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,716 Posts
the one vet i work with doesn't like giving peanut butter or treats made from peanuts. in large quantities and over time they can develop oxylate stones. and bacon grease leads to pancreatitis.....


i've been thinking about doing my dog biscuit business again and have found all my info on the ingredients that i went over with the vet. and those are the only 2 things he found wrong in 2 of my recipes...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,815 Posts
Spot on with oxalate stones, but to be honest, they have to eat a lot, and chew them very fine. Most of the time they just swallow them whole and they come out in the stool. There is a greater danger of having oxalate stones from eating other foods rich in calcium or vitamin D than from eating the occasional peanut.

Here's the grand list of foods high in calcium and oxalate, the two ingredients that make the (duh) calcium oxalate stones.

apples
asparagus
beer
beets
berries, various (e.g., cranberries, strawberries)
black pepper
broccoli
cheese
chocolate
cocoa
coffee
cola drinks
collards
figs
grapes
ice cream
milk
oranges
parsley
peanut butter
pineapples
spinach
Swiss chard
rhubarb
tea
turnips
vitamin C
yogurt

But again, take it with a grain of salt, since for a dog you'd have to eat a lot of this stuff and consistently.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,457 Posts
:? Ain't broccoli and yogurt safe? :roll: these lists all contradict each other!! :x

:D Luckily, I forced Stinky and Smelly out of their Coke and chocolate pie diet before they got addicted..and the neighbor finally stopped complaining about his missing beer! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,815 Posts
There's something about everything that is toxic in humongous amounts. Heck your chi shouldn't watch TV or else they might get cancer from radiation. There are a few DEFINATES that you shouldn't give animals, but for the most part, a large part of those lists are built out of paranoia and research on consumption in large quantities.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top