Chihuahua People Forum banner

Peanut needs your prayers

7K views 66 replies 17 participants last post by  famouschihuahua 
#1 ·
Peanut was in terrible pain today and we saw the more traditional vet in the practice. We insisted on x-rays. They were inconclusive, but vet has sent us to a neurologist tomorrow morning for MRI and spinal tap. Possible meningitis, chiari malformation, damaged disk, fractured neck. We are beyond worried and terrified. We appreciate prayers. Thank you!

#10 ·
We got the answer but it is worse than any of the mentioned possibilities. She has Atlantoaxial Instability and several other spinal cord malformations. We are trying to come to grips with the reality. Outlook is not good.

#15 ·
Terrible news. Just terrible. What is the plan? Can you keep her comfortable as long as she's happy?

I will tell you one thing.....don't get her adjusted again. With that sort of diagnosis she might have a small bone fragment that pokes out of her atlas. If she were adjusted (or if she suffers a fall or anything else that might wrench her neck or head hard to one side) that small bone "could" puncture the brain stem. And I am a Chiropractic advocate so if I'm telling you this then it's serious that you no longer get her adjusted.

I'm so sorry to hear this news. :( You must be devastated.

#14 ·
Oh this is just devastating, I know how special Peanut is, especially to your Husband. I'm so very sorry and wish it wasn't so. I know that you will do all you can for her. I will keep you all in my prayers. Please feel free to PM or even call via Skype if you need a dog person to vent to. Love to you all.

#16 ·
Oh, I am so so sorry to hear this. I was really hoping it was something that some R&R would be able to heal over time. How devastating for you!

I'm going to have to go do some research as I don't know anything about the condition, but what is the vet expecting as the outcome of this diagnosis?

#19 ·
Thanks Kismet for that kind offer. So far I've been crying with her breeder. The breeder is just as devastated as we are. Peanut was extra special to her and her husband. She's a breeder who keeps up on all her past pups. She been far above responsible and ethical in this. I still may take you up on your offer. I know I'm not done crying. I'm a high school teacher so I try to hold it together but the students are very compassionate if I don't. Sometimes they are more accepting of emotions that older folks.

#23 ·
Thank goodness that you have an amazing breeder, this would have been so much more difficult if the breeder had been dismissive. It's sweet that your students are being so compassionate. I've sent you a PM with my contact details if you need them. Take care of yourselves and precious Peanut. xx

#20 ·
Yes Dorothy's Mom, my one regret in this is that I didn't listen to the little voice that said "What if it's not that pinched nerve?" I actually thought they must have done an x-ray when hubby took her in the first time. They had not. Holistic is good for some things but not everything. I trusted this vet so much as she was open to both traditional and holistic treatment. The dens is broken off. But that is only one of multiple problems. While there is surgery for Atlantoaxial Instability there are so many malformations in the structure the neurologist doesn't know how it could be stabilized. He has not hinted at it, we are preparing ourselves to say goodbye. She is just suffering so much and that's with pain med. Not what we had expected when we picked her up just 4 months ago.

#25 ·
Ray of hope: Neurologist feels she is a candidate for the surgery as the team believes there is enough structure to do the repair. 80% chance of success that she could be almost normal.

#30 ·
The Tramadol is managing her pain. She's far from pain free but she's not in agony now. She's taking an interest in things. She's not happy about being confined. I am a little worried. We have a funeral tomorrow and will have to leave them alone for a few hours. I just hate to leave her alone now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.