Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I noticed that Pearl was shaking her head alot and when I checked her ears, although they looked fine, they smelled kind of like my husbands feet! I took her to the vet this morning and he swabbed inside her ears and looked at the "stuff" under a microscope and diagnosed her with a yeast infection in her ears. We have ointment to put in 2 times a day and she should feel better soon. I forgot to ask him how she could have gotten it, does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Bruiser had a Yeast infection when he was a puppy (ear). I got some drops from the Vet and it cleared right up.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
My female Rottie used to get them.
Some dogs get them more than others.
We just smelled her ears periodically and started using the medicine when they smelled funny.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Poor Girl

I'm sorry to hear that your furbaby is sick. I hope she gets to feeling better. Torie and Binki sends their love and a hug a piece.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Poor Girl

I'm sorry to hear that your furbaby is sick. I hope she gets to feeling better. Torie and Binki sends their love and a hug a piece.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
All dogs are prone to ear infections, especially dogs with "floppy" ears and lots of hair =)

Although yeast and bacteria (malassezia and cocci usually) naturally live in the ear in small amounts, moisture can accelerate growth of yeast and bacteria within the ear canal and the overgrowth will cause the infection. Other causes for ear debris include ear mites, and rare systemic problems. However, most ear infections are the result of environment (swimming dogs, dogs that go to the groomers a lot, often bathed) and become chronic because they either are not properly cleaned/treated at home and the environmental causes are not taken care of.

Make sure you recheck with your doctor and that the ear is properly scoped to make sure the ear canal is free of debris. Even the great doctors I work with are sometimes guilty of not scoping the ears if the pinna looks great during the recheck, they just came back from the Western Vet Conference with renewed vigor on scoping ears after a lecture on chronic ear infections.

Good luck! :wave:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the great info! My vet did look inside using the otoscope, and looked at a sample under the microscope (checking for mites?) so I can only trust him at this point. We go back next week for a follow up so I will make sure he uses the scope again. It has only been 24 hrs since beginning the ointment and Pearl is still shaking her head, but perhaps not as often. She seems fine otherwise. Again, thank you all!

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
hope she gets better real real soon! i don't know why they happen or how all i know is at work i'm the uti and ear infection queen! i'm always finding them in animals.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
under the microscope you can see mites (unusualy for indoor only dogs like chis) and after staining of a sample, you can see any yeast or bacteria (cocci, staph) that are present, as well as since of infection like white blood cells, etc...

luvmypuppet, how funny, at my hospital I'm the ear cytology king =)

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
ilovesadie said:
under the microscope you can see mites (unusualy for indoor only dogs like chis) and after staining of a sample, you can see any yeast or bacteria (cocci, staph) that are present, as well as since of infection like white blood cells, etc...

luvmypuppet, how funny, at my hospital I'm the ear cytology king =)
lol this past weekend i found 2 uti's and 3 ear infections in a bunch of our boarders! and all i did was work a couple hours in the kennel!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Ear Infections

I keep the ointment beside my bed for these occasions, which are quit frequent. My Sybil has this atleast once a month and she is not in contact with moisture from baths, etc. We use the wipes as she stays indoors all the time unless out with me or my husband and mostly on my bed. She is pad trained and likes it that way. I toke her to my vet over and over again with this same problem and she said that some chis just have this problem and it could have something to do with her dry skin where her face looks powdery and fluffs everywhere. I just take the ointment box to vet when I am there and make sure I have a supply in order to keep my vet bills down. There are six other furbabies at home besides her and Bailey.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts