Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well a friend of mine bought a pee pad grass thingie but her rat terrier Zombie wouldn't use it. So guess who got it for free?!? I also got free pee pads and some cleaner wipes too. Now to get Daisy to use it.

We're still working on potty training. She is determined to go outside which is great expect for at night since the wood animals are coming out and we have a strange creature thats been learking around outside. No sight of it, just heard it growling last night, kinda of a gurgling growl like a cat but louder. Still having some oooppsies in the house, which I of course correct her and take her right out when I catch her.
The raccoons are out and their as big as our cat Hercules or even bigger and the one we saw last wasn't scared of us either.

So hubby has been worried about Daisy turning into a snack for some animal outside.

So hopefully I can get her to work with it, since its "kinda" like grass instead of just a pee pad.

·
Registered
371 Posts
We just got rid of ours. It started to smell bad even after we let it soak in bleach for an hour...This is after 4 months of use...
That and it's a hassle to clean and gets messy sometimes if you don't hold it right... We just recently switched back... well switching back to pee pads. Waiting for my order to deliver while using regular newspapers. =/

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ugh I hope it doesn't get too bad. I want to get a pee pad holder thing too. I wouldn't have an issue taking her out at night but lasts nights sounds kinda freaked me out. And this morning part of the fencing for our green beans had been pushed down, which hasn't happened before.

·
Registered
371 Posts
We tried a pee pad holder. And a litter box... The grass thing or pee pads on the ground (or newspaper) is the only thing Nike will go on. She refused to pee on the pad with the holder *shrug*
We're using the pee pad holder as a food tray for them now -.- and the litter box is used as a bucket LoL.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
The "grass" is perfect for Bailey! I rinse it every night after he last potty. Makes life so much simpler in that dept.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hope something works because even with the spot lights on its hard to see to the end of our property.

Last night we got home and I tried everything to get her to use the pee pad, I even put it in the garage and she wouldnt use the pee pad. So hopefully this grass thing will work.

I cant complain about it since I got it free.

Its funny I went online to look for other ones like these and there are some that are actually real grass and you hook a hose to it and it sprays water out of this hydriene and cleans and waters the grass.

I just want Daisy to be safe, shes smaller than our smallest female cat.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'll bet with some training the potty pad will work eventually. If you do decide to go back to the outside option, here's how I handle the wild night creatures.

We have coyotes and owls out at night. My solution is to always go outside with Barney, turn on a light and talk so my presence is known. We have a fenced area right outside the door so he stays close, but if it weren't, I would use a leash and not venture out far from the patio.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll bet with some training the potty pad will work eventually. If you do decide to go back to the outside option, here's how I handle the wild night creatures.

We have coyotes and owls out at night. My solution is to always go outside with Barney, turn on a light and talk so my presence is known. We have a fenced area right outside the door so he stays close, but if it weren't, I would use a leash and not venture out far from the patio.
Thank you. I don't have a problem letting her use the outside during the day time. But even if you talk outloud or making loud noises the racoons aren't scared and will keep with in eye distances. I mainly want her to know to use it at night or when the weather sucks. I guess I want it there mainly for option for her to use.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I see these all the time in the bargain stores here, i've been debating trying one as Princess is still on peepads and hates going outside but hopefully this might ease her in! May give this a go.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
My best advice that I can give anyone interested in using a grass pee patch; is to understand that your pup will still need to be trained to use it just as they would the ourdoors, or a pee pad, etc.

Yes it is green and supposed to look like grass; but dogs can tell the difference in substrate (the way it feels under their paws) very easily. So, one can't just expect a dog who is used to pottying on grass/outdoors; to use the indoor patch. Lots of diligence; constant supervision; and redirecting (picking up the dog EVERY time) it begins an accident (yes that means that an accident AFTER the fact will set you back each time... it's crucial to always be supervising) and moving it to the grass patch, will be your ticket. No its not fun or easy; but simply put a dog should NOT have free roam at any point until they are reliable. Some folks find it easier to keep an eye on their dog 24/7 if they are tethered to them with a leash. Then you just make a point to keep taking the dog (on a set schedule, if possible) to the same spot each time (whether its outside, a patch, etc. same thing applies) and reward like crazy each time they go. The key to housebreaking a dog, is to make sure that YOU - yes you- *prevent* every accident by catching them the second they start; and moving them. It's a PITA not gonna lie; but follow this method and you'll have a trustworthy dog in just a few weeks! I used grass patches for a few years but got tired of cleaning them in winter when we couldn't just hose them off. FWIW though the ONLY way I could ever get them clean was by hosing them down, squirting dish soap on them and using an old broom to get them lathery. Hose to rinse and let dry. Not difficult per say, but still annoying enough that I switched to machine washable potty pads. =D I just always want to emphasize to anyone using a grass patch as an indoor potty; that the dog still needs YOU to train it to use it. =) Good luck and hope that helps!

·
Registered
371 Posts
It was easy for Nike and FILA because they were already trained on a pee pad :)
That said, FILA HATED going on the grass patch because it was wet (after I wash it out it would stay wet)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts