Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been training Khorra to use pee pads. She does pretty well with them but she also is using her bedding blankets to pee on. Not sure if that is related. Well, I got Dakota and he was trained to a litterbox. He has done extremely well transitioning to the pee pads and hasn't had a single accident so I could continue with that. But, by the end of the day, the pee pads are very stinky and need to be changed. Going through at least 2 or more pee pads a day also is going to get very expensive and I really don't care for the idea of washable pee pads. I'm wondering if litter is a better choice? Does anyone know if it is less expensive and less stinky in the long run to use the litter? I'm just wondering if I should switch.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I am wishing I had used the litter method for Gemma, honestly. In my opinion, I think that pads are too confusing for them to distinguish from other soft things on the floor like rugs or laundry. I used pads because my family Chi in the U.S. is perfectly pad trained and never uses rugs or anything else on the floor other than her pad. I think we just got lucky with her, because as soon as I put a rug down on our floor here, Gemma will pee on it. Now I'm slowly having to train her all over again to not pee on every single rug that I put down. It's a real pain in the butt. I'm thinking that if she had started with litter, it would have been easier for her to understand that litter is the only thing she should be going on.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I would LOVE to train my pups to use a litter box!! I bought one but kinda got scared as Zeus kept digging the plastic like he was possesed lol!! May just go ahead and get some litter filler and give it a go especially as his legs are longer now so he'll have no problems getting into it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Isis tends to have less accidents when I use pee pads but sometimes we just use paper - which I dont like as it does get a bit smelly ;(

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Chloe was litter and pad trained when we got her but I seen what a mess the litter made at the breeders so I just put a pad in the litter box she will poo in there but I use the Ugodog potty system and both Chloe & Zoey pee on that. I didn't put any rugs down for a year with Zoey or she would pee on them. I haven't had that problem at all with Chloe.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I started mine off on newspaper which she soon got the hang of but if the paper is slightly soiled she'll find somewhere else to go.
I bought a very large plastic tray and put the newspapers on it so that it stops pee from running off the paper and I can hose it off in the garden.
All of our floors are tiled and I only put down rugs during the winter months. As she was only a baby last winter I didn't want to confuse her so kept the rugs away.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Mine are diggers so litter would not work for me.

They all went through a phase of seeing anything of the floor as a pad but they eventually got over it (Winnie is about a week accident free at this stage, yay! Hope I haven't jinxed myself) but before that my rugs got a battering. Lucky they were cheap ones and we have a high pressure hose.

Pads are expensive! Now that I have 3 dogs I go through 6 per day. I'm not home during the day to take them out though so for me it's either pads or no dogs :(

·
Registered
110 Posts
I also use pads ( its just easier for me with my medical problems not to have to try and go outside with him) he is almost 4 months old now and is doing great on pads . i have carpet in all rooms but the kitchen and no accidents I have a pad in the kitchen and one in puppy room he goes poo in kitchen and pee in his puppy room and only on pads. I thought about litter but i could just see a big mess so I didnt try that . Khorra is still young that she might just need so more time as Winston is just now getting the whole concept and I have had him since he was 8 weeks old. so it just takes time. I wish you luck and dont forget to be consistant.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Artificial grass in a tray is the best IMO, I used it when Ted was tiny as we're 3 floors up, have no garden and everything distracted him when he was tiny so he rarely went in the street as it was too exciting. He hasn't used them now in months (I keep one as back up) so he's completely house trained but they avoid the soft furnishing confusion.

Whatever you do (just in case you don't know this) you must train them to go outside on various surfaces or you can end up with a dog that will only go at home in the tray, I've heard a few cases of this and it's not good for the dog!

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
I know the best option! It's not only cheap...it's FREE...it's called grass! Hehe, you know the kind outside. ;)

Seriously though, why not train them to potty outdoors? So much easier in the long run, and won't cost you a penny.

ps: Congrats on your new pup! He's STUNNING! :thumbright:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts