Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
My Mom used pads for our family Chihuahua even though we always had a yard. She just used them because the breeder she bought her from recommended it because there can be hawks there and the winters are cold.

If I had a yard, I would have trained Gemma to go outside, but living on a second floor apartment on a busy main road would just make training her and taking her outside so many times a day a hassle. I'd have to get fully dressed and get her harnessed and leashed and carry her out down the stairs. It's just easier to let her use pads inside and go outside when we go on walks. It also gets down in the negatives during the winter with snow piled higher than her, so that would be a problem, lol. But I admit, as much as I like the convenience of pads, I think outdoor training is better. Gemma doesn't distinguish the difference between rugs and pads, so I always have to teach her not to use new rugs we put down or rugs at people's houses. It's a pain. We don't even have any rugs down in the apartment except a mat in the bathroom because she kept peeing on them all. However, my family Chihuahua faithfully uses her pads and never uses anything else. I guess it just depends on the dog.

I actually wished I had trained Gemma to use a litter box or got her a raised tray for her pads so it would have been easier for her to understand that rugs were not potty spots. Still thinking about introducing a tray to her pads, but I don't know if it's going to throw her off. She already seems to be going through some potty training relapsing after she was perfect for 2.5 months.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone use both? Bailey still poops in house sometimes and not sure if I should put pad down or if it will confuse her.

Sent from my iPhone using PetGuide

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
We use puppy pads. There are several reasons I decided to use pads. First, she used pads at the breeder, so she was partially trained when we got her. Second, we live in an apartment that has tons of dogs. Before she was vaccinated fully I didn't feel comfortable letting her go outside in the grass where all the other dogs have been. Also, my opinion is that we would have to clean up her poop whether it was outside or inside on a pad. So, why not have it be more convenient. Third, I don't feel comfortable taking her outside by myself in the dark at night. It would be easier if we lived somewhere with our own private yard, but there are so many people outside with their own dogs that it makes me nervous. Fourth, I work long shifts, and I'm usually gone at least 13 hours. I can't expect Chloe to hold her bladder that long. Luckily, my boyfriend works a normal 8-5 job, so he could take her out if she was trained to go outside. But I didn't want to depend on him completely since something could always happen to our relationship, and no one would be able to take Chloe outside then.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Trays shouldn't put Gemma off, I have several trays, sometimes they're used, sometimes they're not depending on cleaning routines etc. and it doesn't throw any of mine off at all, they'll use it regardless. I like them raised up a little, tends to slow down their walking around whilst pooing, they tend to just walk in circles. The other thing you can do is have them jump into a kitty litter tray - that would be better in my opinion, no run-off and would definitely keep them contained in the one spot if it's a few inches deep.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Trays shouldn't put Gemma off, I have several trays, sometimes they're used, sometimes they're not depending on cleaning routines etc. and it doesn't throw any of mine off at all, they'll use it regardless. I like them raised up a little, tends to slow down their walking around whilst pooing, they tend to just walk in circles. The other thing you can do is have them jump into a kitty litter tray - that would be better in my opinion, no run-off and would definitely keep them contained in the one spot if it's a few inches deep.
I completely agree! Chloe didn't use a tray at the breeder, but she used one as soon as she got to us. She did just fine. When we go on trips we often don't take the tray just due to convenience and she does just fine with that as well. I swear by using a tray. We've NEVER had issues with her using any rugs, mats, or blankets etc.

·
Registered
237 Posts
We live on the 6th floor of an apt building. Our older one refuses to go anywhere but outside on the grass. Our 14 week old puppy goes out with Lily and pees on a pad in between outside breaks. The puppy won't poop indoors, she asks to go outside to do that. Today she actually asked to go outside to pee also.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Tucker was using pads at his breeders house so I just continued that here. He's doing really well with them. I also don't want him going outside until he's had all his shots.

Tucker's mommy

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I just started to get Angel off pee pads. My house is small and the only place for it is my half bath, just toilet and sink, so it's kind of small. He has been peeing at the edge of the pad, so, it's a pain to clean up! I don't really have room to put a tray.

But you can surely do both. If he peed in the middle if the pad, I could deal with it. But too many times it runs off and goes underneath -YUK!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a big house and sometimes we don't get to her in time either. That's why Im trying bells, that's not working! I just wondered if I put a pad down she might use that instead of my floor.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have a big house and sometimes we don't get to her in time either. That's why Im trying bells, that's not working! I just wondered if I put a pad down she might use that instead of my floor.

I have the same problem as you. When we are in the kitchen and I'm busy cooking, Star usually sneak upstairs to go potty by the laundry room door. We baby gated the kitchen off, but she still can go between the bars of the baby gate! But I still won't put a pad up there because I'm afraid that she thinks that is her "potty spot" if I do put it up there. I just have to watch her like a hawk, if she tries to get thru the gate, I try to scoop her asap up to go potty at her designated spot.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I don't use a pad at all. I am a firm believer that if you teach a dog to do their business in the house then they will use places other than the pad to do their potty needs. I live on the third floor of a walkup apartment and I keep Biscuit on a schedule so we have a routine and since I have had him only 2 accidents in the house in 5 weeks.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I like the wee wee pads for several different reasons,If its pouring rain out side,snowing ,ice on the ground,or 100 degrees,they dont have to run outside in the yard.Also by chance if they have to go out during the night,we dont have to get up walking around then try to go back to sleep.Molly was so sick,I would have hated to make her go out side every time she had to go.Every one likes different things but for us,we like the pads inside of the trays

·
Registered
25 Posts
We mainly use pads since it's difficult for my wife to get up and down stairs to take the dog out during the day when I'm at work. Since we have 4 cats, we put the pads near the litter box area on a rubber mat. This has worked out pretty well except when Chloe decides to indulge in some "kitty treats" when I'm slow about scooping.

She also goes outside for walks and will go then as well. We try to keep her trained both ways and it's worked so far.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
M
If I had a yard, I would have trained Gemma to go outside, but living on a second floor apartment on a busy main road would just make training her and taking her outside so many times a day a hassle. I'd have to get fully dressed and get her harnessed and leashed and carry her out down the stairs. It's just easier to let her use pads inside and go outside when we go on walks. .

I am the exact way. Second floor on a busy street. I do take Kalisee out daily but just for a walk around the neighborhood ( a pain because its a busy area, but its something we do without fail for her to sniff around)

We use one pee pad in the bathroom which she has finally learned to use 100%. I can't run downstairs with her 4 times a day, so the pad is the best issue for us. They aren't that expensive, so it helps us with our choice.

·
Registered
864 Posts
We go outside only (well, except when I'm at work for longer than I plan to be and then we pee under the kitchen table :foxes15: ) We haven't had to deal with winter yet, not really looking forward to that so much. Rain isn't a problem, since her big sister likes to play in the rain, it makes things less bad for Stella -- she wants to be just like her big sister!

I have thought about getting pads for when I'm going to be gone for long hours, but I just can't bring myself to do it...

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I don't use a pad at all. I am a firm believer that if you teach a dog to do their business in the house then they will use places other than the pad to do their potty needs. I live on the third floor of a walkup apartment and I keep Biscuit on a schedule so we have a routine and since I have had him only 2 accidents in the house in 5 weeks.
I think it completely has to do with the dog. We don't have any trouble with Chloe using rugs, mats, blankets etc. She always uses her pad only. She hasn't had an accident since she was 3.5-4 months old.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
You are probably right. I had 2 female Malteses when I was growing up that were nightmares and ruined the idea of pre pads for me. after my experience with them, I just can't do the pads.
Yeah, that makes lots of sense. I don't think there is anything wrong with going outside or using pads. It all depends on your situation. If I had a house with a private fenced in yard then I would be much more likely to go outside for pottying because I could have a doggie door. But There's not another option since I live in an apartment and work such long shifts.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts