Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I will be getting a 4 month old little girl, thought I'd train her on pee pads at first. I have never used them, but I am sure I will figure it out. :) I did have a random question for you people that have male dogs that use the pads, how does that work? Do you have to put one up on the wall??

·
Premium Member
5,270 Posts
Chico is neutered and is over a yr old. He still squats like a girl........ I also have a manchestire terrier that is 11 yrs old (neutered) and he still squats like a girl.... I don't know if this is normal for neutered males but pee pads work fine for my bunch :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
I did have a random question for you people that have male dogs that use the pads, how does that work? Do you have to put one up on the wall??
If you got a leg lifter you can always buy a little fire hydrant from drs. foster and smith. It helps attract the males to mark that instead of the walls. I use this with my boys and they know that, that is theirs and they can pee on it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I caught mine hiking the leg at the base of the sofa. I took a plastic garbage bag and taped it there in the event he'd do it again. After all the issues we had with him not wanting to use the grass potty, I have taken him outside and now he doesn't use it in the house anymore. But that fire hydrant idea is good. I read where someone said to take a liter coke bottle or milk bottle and fill with rocks and place as a hydrant.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for your responses. I was very curious how to get the boys to use it without the wall getting peed on. Now I know, some squat, some use fire hydrants. :) My two boys are about 90% house broke, Reggie does like to mark, though. Hopefully once he is fixed this behavior can be stopped. If not, the fire hydrant/coke bottle is a good idea.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Haha, yeah, for my male I have to have the walls of the pad area lined with pads. I use clips that I've stuck to the wall to hold the pads up. He's a leg lifter from way back ;)

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have a leg lifter too although he attempts to squat off the pad (front paws on, back paws off). He "tries" to pee on the pad but always misses. Have to give him an A for effort though:)
Lol one of my girls do this they either do like your male or they are literally half on half off so some pee makes it on the pad and some on the floor. She doesn't do it very often just when she's gotta go bad and didn't wanna leave her nice warm lap or bed! lol

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Tango was neutered at 7 1/2 months, and has always squatted to pee. That is, unless we're out somewhere the scents are unfamiliar to him, then he'll lift his leg and mark everything in sight! I couldn't imagine a 3 1/2 lb dog has that much pee in him, but he seems to manage it lol!

But you're getting a girl, so you won't have that problem. One suggestion though, is to lead your dog to the pee pad to use it, rather than carrying her. I made that mistake with Jazz. Every time I let her out of her crate, I'd carry her to the pad rather than leading her to it, which made it that much harder to associate peeing with GOING to the pad first. She'd pee every time as long as she was carried to the pad. Otherwise she'd just squat as soon as she got out of her crate. I trained that out of her once I realized what the issue was, but still, if you don't make the mistake I did, you won't have to waste time re-training.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, this is a little OT, but..
My chi uses the cat's litter box (she sneaks to it, cause she obviously thinks that I would be mad if I found out, no idea why) It works just great, however, I don't know what the cat thinks of it :p :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah, I've caught him once or twice with a weird expression of the snout. Like - "oh god, first" the food and now - this.. And she doesn't even bother to dig it in!"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts