Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I had a question for you all. My Baby chi, just turned 3mos old has been doing very good potty-training until now. Now he missing of the pee pad (meaning he comes close to the pad but misses) has increased, and the worst thing, is that he is shredding them when left alone in the bathroom when we are at work. He has his bed in there, food, plenty of toys, and chew things. Any ideas?

Also, Has anyone used a "dog litter box"? What is this, and if anyone has used it, what do they use inside it to go on, and has it worked?

Thanks!

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
Try using a puppy pad holder - they are available of the net or from good pet stores, also is he missing bacuse he is starting to hike his leg ? try filling a coke bottle with sand or water and put it on pad for him too pee up - if its not that how many pads do you use ? also the holder might help as they have to step up so he can distinguish between the floor and the pad easier :wave:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, he is squatting like he normally does, but he is just a little shy of getting on the pee pad sometimes, and it seems like he is missing more frequently now. When we are in the same room with him, when he is running around silly, he will bite at it and run, during his romps around the living room. lol But the most of the shredding, is dones, when we are not directly with him, even left alone 5mins, he has started to shred the pee pee pad.

I would say we use them for a few days and change them. Maybe he is just bored, but I have given him everything I can possibly think of to entertain himself, when we are not there.
Unfortunately, we can't be there with him 24/7 like most people, so we are trying to give him freedom during those times to run around the bathroom, along with a bed, crate if he wants to go in it, toys, food, and chew things.

The holders sound like a good idea. I have never seen them. Do you know of any chains that carry them? Thanks!

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
I live in the Uk so its pets at home here but not sure where you are from ?

I change mine every day unless they are dry - if thery are used too much they will use the sides of them - I only let mine get like 2 wees on - as its a pup I would say 3 or 4 then change :wave:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Changing the pads frequently did help with Jasmine. Seems she doesn't like to get her dainty little paws dirty by stepping on a wet pee pad - LOL.

Seriously, I saw her going on the very edge of the pad a few times. I wasn't sure why she was doing this, but when I started to change the pads more frequently, she stopped doing that. I really think she just didn't like walking on it if it was damp. I change mine at least 3 times a day. Morning, around noon and evening. Since, I've been working the past few weeks, I come home at lunch to check on her and change her pad. Since I now have her down to just one pad in the family room, it's really not a bother to change the pad more often. I won't be working after the first of July, and will be taking her outside more during the day and won't have to change them as often hopefully.

Of course, that won't solve the shredding problem. I would give the pad holder a try. I tried the litter box when I first got her, and Jasmine just made a big mess with that.

Good luck.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Seiah was exactly the same. For the pad, I just kind of watched him and shifted him over a little, but didn't fuss to much about it because I didn't want him to think he shouldn't go on the pad...wasn't sure if he realized he was missing the pad. He doesn't do that anymore. But with the pad shredding, I always told him "no". Everytime he tried to play with it when I was laying it down, I kept telling him the same no and he eventually got it that it was something he wasn't supposed to do. It takes patience and time.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I have 3 dogs and I go through alot each day, chis like to be clean so if its tht then u need to change em more. Otherwise a coke bottle like Claire said is a very good idea mto try!!!

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
geesh with Bindi alone I change them daily and sometimes a few times AND she has 4 places to go!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just a thought, have you taught him how to play with his toys on his own? It sounds stupid but they do need to know how to get the most fun outta something, mine didnt play with any until I played with him and he learnt how to play on hios own as I gradually encouraged him to.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I tried the litter box lined with a wee wee pad and Punky did her thing right outside it :D
They do sell dog litter from recycled newspaper but i thought it would be more mess to clean up.
Punky has two spots to go (we have two floors) and I change her pads twice aday usually.
She still gets on the edges sometimes, maybe I should get the holder. Do alot of you use them?
Sometimes her 4 legs are on the wee wee pad and her little bottom is aimed right OFF :?
Have you thought of crate training? There's a thread somewhere her on it. Do you remember where it is Mr. Chi?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts