Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok after a few months of diligence and the great advice here Peebo hasn't Pee'd off the pads in over a month!!!!:hello1::hello1:
Now the problem I am having is that he Poops in random places sometimes, he usually goes in the morning and in the afternoon and its only about 50% on the pads and off. I usually put out 2 pads I figures he might not like to poop on the same pad he pees on but he just pees on both of them! (Chis pee alot:D)
Is there something else I cold be doing? I am so proud of him now I just need to figure out how to get him consistent with the pooping! lol
I welcome all suggestions:headbang:

Dean

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
For Zoey I had to put her pad in a large cat litter box with one side cut down so she would poop on it. Then gradually I removed the litter box and she does fine now.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm sound's good I am open to try anything so how far away did you place the litter box from his pee pad?

BTW is Zoey in a pumpkin costume?! thats terrific!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
What about keeping a little piece of his poop on the pad? And then getting all excited and showing it to him and making a big deal out of it. We did that with Brody. When he was going on pads, he'd go potty and then run over and look at us and then run back like "hey! Lookit what I did!" ha ha. He knew he was going to get a treat. :)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Hmmm sound's good I am open to try anything so how far away did you place the litter box from his pee pad?

BTW is Zoey in a pumpkin costume?! thats terrific!
At first she was scared to go in the litter box so I put a pad right outside the box then one inside, then gradually she went inside. I did this because she would trot off the potty pad and poop like 3 or 4 inches off the potty pad. This kept her 'confined' so to speak on the potty pad.

Yes, Zoey was a pumpkin for halloween last year.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about keeping a little piece of his poop on the pad? And then getting all excited and showing it to him and making a big deal out of it. We did that with Brody. When he was going on pads, he'd go potty and then run over and look at us and then run back like "hey! Lookit what I did!" ha ha. He knew he was going to get a treat. :)
I make one heck of a big deal when he poops on the pad its party time! treats, applause, I carry him around like hes the king of the world lol.

Ok I will give that one a try too sounds like a good idea thanks!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At first she was scared to go in the litter box so I put a pad right outside the box then one inside, then gradually she went inside. I did this because she would trot off the potty pad and poop like 3 or 4 inches off the potty pad. This kept her 'confined' so to speak on the potty pad.

Yes, Zoey was a pumpkin for halloween last year.
Yes Peebo does the same thing like right next to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! arggghhhhhh
it like he doesnt want his poop to touch the pad or something???

·
Registered
164 Posts
this all sounds like good advice to me!

I have none myself because my dogs don't use them :( Altho I remember when Hal was a baby she seemed to rather pee on them than poop when we were housebreaking. hmm??

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Both mine travel when they poop, even though they always start out on the pad. Luckily, Tango just travels in a very small circle, and so he usually manages to poop directly on the pad. Jazz on the other hand, though she always starts off on the pad, sometimes travels halfway down the hall, or out the bathroom door, by the time she's done, dropping little poopies as she goes! It's VERY frustrating. I need to get a litter box, or a pad holder, and see if that doesn't solve the problem. I don't feel like I can get too mad at her though, because she's really good about running to the pad to poop, she just doesn't STAY there.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Both mine travel when they poop, even though they always start out on the pad. Luckily, Tango just travels in a very small circle, and so he usually manages to poop directly on the pad. Jazz on the other hand, though she always starts off on the pad, sometimes travels halfway down the hall, or out the bathroom door, by the time she's done, dropping little poopies as she goes! It's VERY frustrating. I need to get a litter box, or a pad holder, and see if that doesn't solve the problem. I don't feel like I can get too mad at her though, because she's really good about running to the pad to poop, she just doesn't STAY there.
LOL Peebo des that too!

I use a litter box for Pippin, with wood pellets as litter (much more cost effective) and it's worked great!
Wood pellets? where do you get wood pellets.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a similar problem with Chi, he is 99% paper trained for a pee but a poo is a different story. He goes off either into my staffies cage or he runs upstairs to see if theres any washing on the bedroom floor or a towel on the bathroom floor and then poops on that, the dirty little sod.
Were trying real hard and i eventually want to get him 100% house trained with no paper. I just hope thats going to be possible eventually?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a similar problem with Chi, he is 99% paper trained for a pee but a poo is a different story. He goes off either into my staffies cage or he runs upstairs to see if theres any washing on the bedroom floor or a towel on the bathroom floor and then poops on that, the dirty little sod.
Were trying real hard and i eventually want to get him 100% house trained with no paper. I just hope thats going to be possible eventually?

What do you mean house trained with no paper? what will he use instead of paper?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Oh, that's exactly what Harry does! When he was tiny, his circles were small enough to stay on the pad. He knows the expression "Go on the paper" and he's really good and starts off on it, but the circles get bigger and bigger and soon he's off it, with 2 or 3 droppings here and there. And tonight, I missed a tiny one I didn't see happen and trod on it before I noticed it... (only the second time I've ever done that-yeuk!) But aaargh!

·
Registered
105 Posts
What do you mean house trained with no paper? what will he use instead of paper?
Outside.
Ive started all of my pups off with paper as we live in a flat and its not always possible to be up and down in the lift every couple of hours.
As they get older and are more able to hold for longer we move the paper to the door and gradually get them to go outside.
Ive been told smaller dogs are harder to housetrain but im hoping Chi will be completly clean eventually.
Chi Chi is my first ever small dog.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Outside.
Ive started all of my pups off with paper as we live in a flat and its not always possible to be up and down in the lift every couple of hours.
As they get older and are more able to hold for longer we move the paper to the door and gradually get them to go outside.
Ive been told smaller dogs are harder to housetrain but im hoping Chi will be completly clean eventually.
Chi Chi is my first ever small dog.
I see what you mean I live on the 10th floor so yea its a little hard to get him down in time.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I am having teething probs with Red regards poops, he will pee on the pad and occasionally poop on the pad but will actually poop anywhere.

So now I feed red outdoors and leave him out for a bit as if he is gonna poop it is during or right after eating. I then make a big thing of it and make him proud.

If he poops indoors I wait till he goes away from where he has pooped and just clean up. I don't want him thinking pooping indoors is a good thing.

He does play outdoors a lot with Jake and poop and I don't see it so I do try to make it a good thing when I do see him.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Aidyn likes to walk when he poos too, so usually it gets off the pad. In the last several days though he has peed on the pad missing only once. I'm so proud!

With going potty we have a routine down, go to the bathroom, place him on his pad. Depending on urgency he usually plays for a minute before going, especially potty. I know he has to go when he runs in a frantic little circle. I tap the pad reminding him to go on it, saying use your pad. Go Potty on the pad. It's been working too, but like I said before he walks off the pad sometimes.

He gets praised for going on the pad pee or poo. He's been an extremely well behaved little guy for the most part. :)

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Paco travels too, it drives me crazy, he starts right in the middle of the pad and then starts his circles, by the time he's done the poop drops every where, you can't get mad at them for it, they do start in the right place.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts