Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay here's the problem. I live in a ranch style house so there's no second floor, I have a lower level on the house but Tyson doesn't go down there. He's peeing on my carpet in my living room and i've tried numerous times to get him to go pee on the potty pad in the 1st floor wash room but cannot get him to do so. I put the potty pad in the wash room and he refuses to use it and goes in the LR without any pad straight on my floor and im starting to get a little frustrated. Any tips? One of the problems is that i cannot correct him because everytime he does something wrong and i raise my voice at him he put his tail between his legs, starts to shake his butt at me gives me a little look and i cannot continue to let him know that he's done something wrong. If anyone has any idea and/or tips that they can give me it would be greatly appreciated. Now there's a pee stain in my LR that I cant get out so im having the flooring replaced in that room. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Have you not kept him in a localized area to train him? a crate or pen or floor without carpeting? You must be consistant with training if you cant watch him 24/7 he shouldnt be permitted to walk throughout the home. JMHO

·
Registered
277 Posts
Very true. He will never learn if he now has full run of the house. He needs to be put into an xpen or baby gated in one room of the house with potty pads if your not going to train him to potty outside.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I would suggest a 'puppy playpen' with a plastic floor and if it hasnt got one then put some washable lino flooring under the playpen. The playpen i have has a plastic floor. Its really excellent. So when you cant watch your puppy you know there safe and not up to mischief! 'Natures miracle' is a very good cleaner...as like someone else has said...if you dont remove ALL the stain/odour then the pup will continue to go back there. Persistence and patience is the key. :wink:

·
Registered
897 Posts
I agree with everything that has been posted already. Some time ago, I had always hated the thought of confining my pups but I will tell you, it is the best thing you can do. They tend to learn very quickly where to go and where not to. If the confinement area is small enough, they basically have their bed, maybe a little room to play and then a place for the pee pad. If given only a choice between soiling their bed or the pad, chances are they will choose the pad. It will eventually become habit.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input, looks like until he learns to go on the P-pad i will have to lock him in the washroom when he's not with me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts