Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know coco cannot go outside regulary due to a massive cast on her paw. Since we got her she was peeing on the pads, even if she was upstairs she would run downstairs to pee on the pad however during the last 2 days or so she started peeing everywhere! I don not know why, when she peed on the carpet i said NO and put her on the pad but this method is not really working :( did anyone else have a problem like this and how should i re-train her to pee on the pad again?

please help
thanks

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
How old is your little one now, and is it possible she could be coming into heat if not spayed yet? Sometimes they forget their potty training all together when they come into heat.

·
Registered
150 Posts
If she is still peeing on pads sometimes try to catch it, or even recently. when that happens praise her like she just the best thing ever. the no, and putting her on the puppy pad "may" be giving her a negative association with the pad. I know that that method works for lots of dogs ( my aussie included) but with salem and duke it didn't ( the chi's) praising, though worked.

I know there is a lot of debate in the dog world to how long you have to correct a behavoir before they forget what they did. I personally think that its different with all dogs. when potty training salem if he pooped upstairs, he wouldn't come to bed at night till it was gone, so he wouldn't get in trouble no matter what time he poo'd. lol. other dogs have no care in the world. Gauge your dogs memory yourself, it varies. But i say praise even after the fact since the smells for pottying are so strong praising for those smells being where they need to be, should help. Obviously seeing it, and praising immediatly is better. But i honestly think just having that area smell the way it should and praising should help.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
she poos on the pad which is weird...
i also noticed that she will not pee untill i leave the room and if she is desprate then she will go behing my back or something like that

and she is 4 months soo it would be unlickly that she is coming into heat

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Have there been changes in her diet?

I notice when Gretel has too many treats, or canned green beans she cannot hold it and she goes whenever wherever. I spoke with my vet and he said it's likely due to a high increase in sodium in her diet, and when I decreased the treats and switched to frozen green beans the problem cleared up.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it is all fine now i took the newspaper from the top of the pad and now it is just the pee pad and she goes toilet on it! i still do not know why she started to go every where?
thanks for everyone's help

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
If you're giving her meds while the cast is on, this might be making her have to go more often and she probably feels she can't make it to the pad or they forget. If she is taking meds since she has the cast, she might have a UTI. Just watch her to see if she's having trouble while peeing.

·
Registered
125 Posts
i still do not know why she started to go every where?

Who knows what goes through a Chihuahua’s brain? It is a total mystery! For two days last week, Zippy thought that the kitchen garbage can was a great spot to pee on and then, just as suddenly, he went right back to using his pad. I think that half the reason that Chihuahuas are so adorable is that they are so unpredictable!

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Newspaper can be very confusing for them. I am glad that she is using the pad again now. I would keep just the pad down without the newspaper for here on out :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
We have a saying with those of us Involved with a local rescue. most of us have a chi, or have had one. "it's a chi" lol. thats it, but generally when describing weird actions, or things our dogs do, it fits. A chi is really its own little classification! lol

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We have a saying with those of us Involved with a local rescue. most of us have a chi, or have had one. "it's a chi" lol. thats it, but generally when describing weird actions, or things our dogs do, it fits. A chi is really its own little classification! lol
i know they all have their little weird moments (especially coco) :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts