Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again. The nervous soon to be chi mom posting again. This time I'm wondering about people's problems and/or issues with paper training. Most of the year is too cold to let a chi outside. I know people have a few problems with house breaking, but do these issues occur with paper training? My boyfriend whose house I live in, has no problems with me having a chi. His biggest issue is having the dog pee all over. This is already a problem with my cat, as he has taken to spraying inside all over (indoor only cat) and peeing on my clothes/bedding. I just don't want this issue with a dog as well.

I want to get a realistic idea of peeing problems with chihuahua's in order to make a choice about whether or not getting a dog of this breed is the right choice. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
You are going to have a "training period" regardless of what kind of dog you get. The cat should not be spraying is it fixed?? Natures Miracle is the best thing to use to break the enzyme down in the pee. Please get some and try to de-cat the house.

Chi's can be stubborn but I think you just have to stay on top of them and be consistent. Don't give them full rein of the house until they are ready and be prepared you will from time to time have an oopsie! Lots of people here have said during teething they may act out of character so that might happen to.

Lost of people here to give you tips on paper/litter training!
Good luck :wave:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My cat is neutered, actually I had him neutered early to avoid spraying, but he escaped not too long ago and somehow picked up the habit. I have learned that they spray/pee on things due to stress, jealousy, insecurity, so we are working on those.

We plan to keep the pup in the bathroom while I am work. The breeder has her dogs paper trained, so I'm hoping the pup will be pretty much paper trained when I get it. I come home for lunch so I can see the pup, so it is not alone all day. When I am home I plan to have attached to me via leash and harness b/c I have read they are not supposed to have free rein of the house.

I'm just wondering though if a lot of people have issues after their dogs are supposedly paper trained/house broken.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Just a word of caution....

If your cat is already having jelousy/stress issues getting another pet will probably have negative effects.
It could spray more because there will be an intruder in its territory.
It will probably be jelouse of the chi. Does it still have it's claws? The chi will probably want to play with the cat and the cat could injure it. Those big eyes make a good target for cats.

I am not trying to be mean to you, I just want you to think about the problems you are having now and with the addition of a chi you are going to have more problems to deal with. If you really love your cat and want to keep it, maybe you should deal with the issues it is having before adding another pet. If not, find it a good home before you get you get your chi.

I have 4 cats and 2 chis at my house and they are all indoor pets. I have had to deal with a few issues myself. There are 2 male cats and 2 female cats. All have been nutered.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My cat gets along with everyone, people, other cats, birds, snakes, chinchillas, small rodents, rabbits and dogs. He's quite well socialized in the respect. I don't believe he will attack the chihuahua, as he has never attacked anything that was larger than a finch so that is not an issue.

As for my cat spraying, we hope to resolve that before getting the chihuahua, as there's still quite a bit of time left to go before the pups are ready.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts