Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi....just a question...I noticed that recently, bella has started peeing more frequently..small amounts. What does this indicate if anything???

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
sometimes it means nothing, other times it could be a urinary tract infection. keep an eye on the color and smell. normal pee should be clear and yellow ad smell like pee. infection you usually see a darker more concentrated look (even after drinking, don't look at a morning pee for this if she doesn't go through the night cause then it is more concentrated!) and it smells funky. that is the only way i can describe it. it's real strong and sometimes makes ya cringe.

*dont' just assume it's a uti though. but if you are real concerned about it than call your vet to check her urine....

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Ms_P said:
It can also mean diabetes.
you're right... i forgot about that one (and i just gave insulin last night to a patient...)
especially when there's lethargic behavior, increased drinking, loss of appetite and weight loss.... those are the most common changes the owner reports.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Cherie - how old is Bella? is she spayed?
cos it also is a "heat" symptom :wink:
they start marking the territory like that.
first Pupa's heat was at 7 months, first she started peeing a lot and small amounts, then a bit of blood was coming out...like normal heat..

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi... bella is 3 months...today is her birthday...sorta. she is not spayed....her pee looks and smells normal, but if it continues, i wil call my vet ....

·
Registered
172 Posts
Flea--my 2 year old spayed female was peeing a lot too recently (and drinking tons)...I knew something didn't seem right....

I would bring your dog's pee to the vet for a urinalysis. Flea's showed a very LARGE amount of struvite crystals (meaning her urine isn't acidic enuff). The vet did a second urinalysis for free because he couldn't believe there were so many!! Her pee was often times very diluted because she was drinking like a fish. And she couldn't hold it for more than an hour.

He also took an x-ray to see if she had kidney stones (no).

The vet switched her to a prescription food to dissolve these crystals (there was no infection, actually) and I am happy to say she is getting better everyday! And she can stay on this food as long as she likes (which is great b/c she loves it).

Bottom line: urinalysis. But call your vet to ask about how to collect the pee and for how long you can keep it (max: one hour). After that, results can be incorrect.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Cherie - 3 months is too little for the heat...
I think better call the vet , I dont want to worry you, but I would pay attention at it... :wink:

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I would recommend letting your vet get urine via cystocentesis (with a needle through the abdomen into the bladder). Anything else is not sterile enough to do a urine culture, although a U/A can work.

Bottom line, lots of reasons to cause polyuria, if accompanied by polydypsia (increased water drinking) ranging from basic UTI that can be treated with antibiotics, to severe problems (but unlikely) like renal failure, kidney/bladder stones, diabetes mellitus, thyroid problems, or even Cushings.

:wave: Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts