Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NOT SAFE FOOD
1 Chocolate
2 Onions
3 Garlic
4 macadamia nuts
5 Pear pips, the kernels of plums, peaches and apricots, apple core pips (contain cyanogenic glycosides resulting in cyanide posioning)
6 Potato peelings and green looking potatoes
7 Rhubarb leaves
8 Mouldy/spoiled foods
9 Alcohol
10 Yeast dough this is the raw dough not the cooked breads...
11 Coffee grounds, beans & tea (caffeine)
12 Hops (used in home brewing)
13 Tomato leaves & stems (green parts)
14 Broccoli (in large amounts)
15 Raisins and grapes
16 Cigarettes, tobacco, cigars
17 Avocados
18 Nutmeg
19 Raw eggs
20 Salt Excessive
21 Rice

SAFE FOOD
1 Skinless, boneless chicken breast
Skinless, boneless turkey breast
Boneless fish
2 Carrots
3 Green Beans
4 Lettuce
5 Potatoes
6 Yams
7 Bread
8 Dairy products not Excessive
9 apples
10 cauliflour

·
Registered
936 Posts
Wow...thanks so much for that :D . I'm going to print that out and stick it on the fridge. So everyone in the household knows what they can't give Seiah.

·
Registered
518 Posts
My current vet believes that dogs should not be given people food. If they are eating a high quality dog food, then they receive all of the nutrients they need.

One of my former vets (different state) said that the digestive system of a dog does not work the same way as human digestive systems. Therefore, dogs should under no circumstances be given human food. The only exception he made was boiled white chicken meat. But, that was only for ill dogs who absolutely had to eat and were suffering from loss of apetite as part of their illness.

I don't wish to cause a big debate because I think most of the regulars here are dog-smart enough to make their own decisions. But, we do have new and young dog owners here who are still learning. They should be aware of both sides of this issue.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Frasier's Mommy said:
My current vet believes that dogs should not be given people food. If they are eating a high quality dog food, then they receive all of the nutrients they need.

One of my former vets (different state) said that the digestive system of a dog does not work the same way as human digestive systems. Therefore, dogs should under no circumstances be given human food. The only exception he made was boiled white chicken meat. But, that was only for ill dogs who absolutely had to eat and were suffering from loss of apetite as part of their illness.

I don't wish to cause a big debate because I think most of the regulars here are dog-smart enough to make their own decisions. But, we do have new and young dog owners here who are still learning. They should be aware of both sides of this issue.

all the vets at my job agree with you. except with carrots given as treats because a lot of dog's like them and they aren't as fatty as some of the treats that are out there now. especially with dogs that have food allergies not many treats out there are made for dog's that have serious food allergies. my tasha bird couldn't have anything that had even the slightest bit of beef or chicken. i fouund about 3 treats that were ok for her, of the three she liked only 1 so she got those and carrots.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not sure why rice is on the bad list but I did here that it caused diabitis in older dogs. I asked the lady at the petstore andout it and she thought it was the amount of rice given...

I do know that onions cause the rdb blood cells to ecplode.

Garlic is toxic to dogs kinda like chocolate is.

This is just a list that I found on the internet while I was researching information on chihuahuas.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Would also be curious why rice is on the "no" list. I do agree we can overdo it on the people food, but as long as it is safe to give them, I don't see a problem with giving them some people food occasionally. This is just my opinion, and of course I spoil my furbaby terribly! :lol: Jasmine loves chicken, ice cream and green beans. Have tried the carrots, both raw and cooked, but she just sniffs them, gives me the "look" and walks away. LOL.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i'm going to ask the vets at work what they say about garlic because it is in a bunch of recipe's for homemade dog treats and even in a few suppliments for fleas... i wonder if it's certain parts of it....

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Garlic in LARGE (we're talking huge) amounts can cause kidney/liver problems and hemolytic anemia in dogs and cats.

Onions, to a larger degree, cause similar "Heinz" hemolytic anemia in dogs and cats, and is more toxic than garlic, but again, they have to eat a lot of it.

Brocolli, for the one person who asked, gives dogs gas since it contains isothiocyanate, and large amounts can make them suspecible to bloat or GDV (pretty rare in small breed dogs). It has been documented to cause problems in livestock, but not small animals. Like all things, it requires ingesting large amounts to cause problems.

Raisins and grapes can cause vomitting/diarhhea, and kidney failure if ingested in large amounts (scientific study fed grapes in 9oz to 2lb amounts to dogs), one or two probably won't hurt a medium sized dog, but it's always good to be careful since we have little ones.

Hope this clears up some things...still haven't found anything about rice in a medical journal, and all our vets use it for post-operative food (boiled chicken white meat and rice). It's also in almost all dog food ingredients, junior, adult, and senior. The only thing I can think of is that you can blame it for being a refined-carb that can cause diabetes in humans if eaten excessively. But I'll tell you what, I know way more humans that are diabetic as a result of obesity, and white rice was never in any of their diets. Likewise, I'm Chinese, and everyone in my family and cousins's and girlfriends' families eats rice on a mealy basis, and none of us have diabetes. I think this calling rice an "innapropriate dog food" is a little farfetched.

-Nate

1 - 14 of 14 Posts