Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Multiple times, people have referred to Brewster as a "chi mix," or asked us what he is bred with. My boyfriend and I are both dumbfounded by this, because we aren't sure what they think he could be a mix of, other than chi.. He looks totally purebred to us, except his coloring is pretty unique (cream with tan markings that resemble a baby deer.) He also has splotchy pink and brown skin that can be seen on his tummy/underside and legs.

For all we know, he COULD be a mix, but I just don't see it. He seems to look purebred and his weight is roundabout 5.5-6lbs.

Anyone else experience this?

(Picture is from the day we first met him at the shelter)

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
He looks purebred to me! His head is really Chi, appleish but with a longer muzzle. My girl is a purebred with papers and her head isn't as Chi looking as his.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Who knows maybe he does have another breed in him. But to me he looks all
Chi. You know Jayme, many people think that all Chis are tan, lol, and are
surprised to find out otherwise. Many around here don't even know about long
coats. So if I were you I wouldn't pay much attention to what strangers say.
If you are very curious you can always try one of those DNA tests.

He's a real cutie your Brewster. :)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Who knows maybe he does have another breed in him. But to me he looks all
Chi. You know Jayme, many people think that all Chis are tan, lol, and are
surprised to find out otherwise. Many around here don't even know about long
coats. So if I were you I wouldn't pay much attention to what strangers say.
If you are very curious you can always try one of those DNA tests.

He's a real cutie your Brewster. :)
Lol point well made. We figure it must be his coat that makes people confused, like you said.
I didn't know they had DNA tests for that, that's pretty neat. Do you know how accurate they are?

Thank you :)

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
He looks all chi to me. People never know what Mylo is because they all expect Chis to be short coats. I got asked if he was a Pomeranian because the lady doesn't normally like chihuahuas and I got asked if he was a cat or a dog!

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
His coloring is the same as Tango's, except Tango's skin doesn't have the splotchy tan markings that you describe, it's just pink.

Occasionally I'll get asked if Tango is a mix, but I've never been asked that about Jazz, and I assume it has to do with their coloring only, because really their physical characteristics are very similar with the exception of their color. They're both just under 4 lbs, they both have similar builds, similar muzzles, ears etc.

Some people are just very clueless lol!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
He looks all Chi to me, too.

I wouldn't let others bother you too much. Purebred Chihuahuas can look so different from one to another. A lot of people are not familiar with all the different variations and coats.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He looks all Chi to me, too.

I wouldn't let others bother you too much. Purebred Chihuahuas can look so different from one to another. A lot of people are not familiar with all the different variations and coats.
Alright, thank you! I'm not sure why it bothers me so much lol.

·
Banned
248 Posts
Your boy looks purebred Chi to me!

My Lacey is without a question purebed. I got her from a friend of a friend (at 2 years old) and I remember when she got her as a 8 week old pup and talked about seeing both the parents and showed me the puppies AKC papers. She also gave me those papers along with her vet records when she gave her to me.Lacey is just "badly bred" she weighs about 8 lbs and so she is bigger than the standard calls for. I honestly think that's why she no longer wanted her. She wanted a "purse dog" and Lacey is not a purse dog lol.

I had a friend come over to visit before I got Faye. She was not impressed when I said that I had gotten two Chis since I had last seen her. Mainly because she did not like the breed...But whatever her issue not mine...Anyways I brought her back to my place and she goes "So what mixes are they?" and I said "They are both Chis just badly bred ones" I explained about Lacey and explained that Osha came out of a small breed puppymill. So she of course is not what a traditional Chi looks like either. Osha is a little more than 6lbs.

She was SHOCKED. She said she said that a friend had just gotten a Chi and it was under 2lbs and tan. She said she had no idea that Chihuahuas got bigger than 2lbs. Or came in so many different colors...She was also shocked when I told her that there was such thing a long haired Chihuahuas. And I still had to show her Laceys papers to convince her that I was telling the truth.

I have to agree that some people are just clueless.

Now other people I have met have automatically looked at Lacey and Osha and said "Chihuahuas right?" or "Look at the cute Chihuahuas".

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Your boy looks purebred Chi to me!

My Lacey is without a question purebed. I got her from a friend of a friend (at 2 years old) and I remember when she got her as a 8 week old pup and talked about seeing both the parents and showed me the puppies AKC papers. She also gave me those papers along with her vet records when she gave her to me.Lacey is just "badly bred" she weighs about 8 lbs and so she is bigger than the standard calls for. I honestly think that's why she no longer wanted her. She wanted a "purse dog" and Lacey is not a purse dog lol.

I had a friend come over to visit before I got Faye. She was not impressed when I said that I had gotten two Chis since I had last seen her. Mainly because she did not like the breed...But whatever her issue not mine...Anyways I brought her back to my place and she goes "So what mixes are they?" and I said "They are both Chis just badly bred ones" I explained about Lacey and explained that Osha came out of a small breed puppymill. So she of course is not what a traditional Chi looks like either. Osha is a little more than 6lbs.

She was SHOCKED. She said she said that a friend had just gotten a Chi and it was under 2lbs and tan. She said she had no idea that Chihuahuas got bigger than 2lbs. Or came in so many different colors...She was also shocked when I told her that there was such thing a long haired Chihuahuas. And I still had to show her Laceys papers to convince her that I was telling the truth.

I have to agree that some people are just clueless.

Now other people I have met have automatically looked at Lacey and Osha and said "Chihuahuas right?" or "Look at the cute Chihuahuas".
Wow, perfect example of how ignorant people can be about chis. I know I wasn't aware that the AKC standard is 6lbs or under, until I read a book after getting Brewster.

When we found Brew at the shelter, there were lots of other big chis (probably 8-10lbs) and I thought they were the standard, not our tiny little guy. Now I come here and find out he isn't quite so tiny :p

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He is adorable and looks all Chi to me as well!

What do you feed him?
We have been doing Wellness Core Small Breed, but decided to phase in Solid Gold Hund-n-Fluocken and see how he does with that.
The reason for this is, I had read that a lower protein could help with aggression issues (Well-Adjusted Dog by Dr. Dodman-- he did a study and found lower protein could help already aggressive dogs) and I would like to see how he does on a 22% protein vs. 36%.

I looked up Solid Gold on dog food advisor and saw it had 4 stars, but upon purchasing and OPENING Hund-n-Flocken, it was the only one with 3 stars :(
Fortunately, Brewster loves it..

I realized that switching his food to help aggression would be difficult to track, seeing as we are working on positive training with him on it, too. I'd like to start him on Acana after we go through this food, I think.

Whew, sorry! That was longer than I expected it to be. I've been obsessing over his food recently.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts