Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on a chihuahua page on fb. They were thinking if they walk their chi when it's hot out and their dog starts panting, it means they dog is in emminate danger of heat stroke. *shakes head* I attempted to educate them, let's see if it sinks in. lol I also pointed out that mine sunbath when it's 100 degrees out and that they are from the deserts of Mexico and love the heat.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I am on a chihuahua page on fb. They were thinking if they walk their chi when it's hot out and their dog starts panting, it means they dog is in emminate danger of heat stroke. *shakes head* I attempted to educate them, let's see if it sinks in. lol I also pointed out that mine sunbath when it's 100 degrees out and that they are from the deserts of Mexico and love the heat.
Haha. So that would mean that when a human starts to sweat, they are about to have a heatstroke, right?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I guess. They were saying they were trying to keep them in the house in the air conditioning where for some reason they burrow under the covers. lol

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Walking in 100 degree heat in the sun is something that you have to watch. A short 10 WALK probably wouldn't do any damage, BUT if you are on concrete, or black top, talk off your shoes and socks and walk on it!! Too hot I'll bet. After dark, not so bad. These little dogs do love the heat, but that doesn't mean they can't get heat exhausion. Make sure they have enough water, and don't over do themselves when out in the heat of the day. I'm not saying sunning is bad, but exercise is another thing. Sue

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is true, Sue. They were talking about only letting them out in the backyard to pee for less than 5 minutes and whisking them back inside.

·
Registered
469 Posts
lol yes i read it, i thought you explained it very well , Glyn also lies outside baking in the heat he loves it, and when inside seeks out the hot spots, they really love the heat,

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I walk mine every morning and they pant quite a bit...I try to do it before it's super hot, but TBH I don't worry even if it is...sometimes Leah gets really hot, and I'll carry her for a bit, but other than that, they do fine. They get water 1/2 way there, and when we get back. I do think heat stroke is a danger but omg, panting doesn't indicate it! if a dog just sits down or decides "its done" I let it be done for the day and put it in the shoulder bag I always bring, but that rarely happens.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Hmmmm not sure about Bijoux she seems indifferent to heat I think it's the long coat..

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I walk mine every morning and they pant quite a bit...I try to do it before it's super hot, but TBH I don't worry even if it is...sometimes Leah gets really hot, and I'll carry her for a bit, but other than that, they do fine. They get water 1/2 way there, and when we get back. I do think heat stroke is a danger but omg, panting doesn't indicate it! if a dog just sits down or decides "its done" I let it be done for the day and put it in the shoulder bag I always bring, but that rarely happens.
All of your dogs must be very well behaved walkers... How do you walk all 6 at once !? I have enough trouble with 2

·
Registered
477 Posts
Lavender will lay in the sun coming through the kitchen window while the air conditioner is going full blast. She has a luxurious coat, but still wants under a blanket to nap. She sleeps under the covers at night with me, too. My Bichon sleeps on his pillow, but Lavender wants to be cuddled under the covers. She's a delicate little lady! :eek:)

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Dogs will never get used to heat if they're kept in A/C flats,no wonder they pant they're not used to it.Wish people would treat them as dogs and not babies,very sad

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
We live in Orlando and it gets HOT! Frankie and Ben go on 3 walks a day. The walks may be shorter when it is HAZY HOT AND HUMID but they still go. Benny has such a thick coat that he does get over heated easily. You just have to err on the side of caution.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts