Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At PetSmart yesterday I saw a 7 year old chi and 7 year old cat in with the rescue animals. It seems their owner moved and couldn't take them along.

:cussing: :angry4: :banghead:

This makes me absolutely livid; so furious I can barely discuss it. I despise people who say their pets are part of their family, then for some reason don't take them when they move. [email protected]@@!!!

Seven years those two animals lived with a family, then got dumped. And call me unreasonable, but I don't give a rat's butt what their reason was short of death. If one can not take their animals where they are moving, they should have never have gotten them :!: Yes, I know animals are not kids, but they HAVE feelings!

Can you imagine laying in a cage at PetSmart while people gawk at you and the cat you grew up with wondering what happened to your family of 7 years?? SCREAMMMMMMM :banghead: :banghead:

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I totally agree! 7 years of family life then nothing - just dumped! I think if you were going to be thinking of these things you shouldnt buy the dog in the forst place a person who cares could of looked after him/her for a life time! Poor animals.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i think about it daily. my tasha bird was dumped at age 8....... i want to track the owners down since i know first and last names.. but what good would that do...

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I know, it's terrible! I can't even go to petco when they have the adoptions there because it just brings tears to my eyes. i went to petsmart one day and i didn't know they were doing adoptions, and i saw these two gigantic and beautiful huskies. my husband and i fell in love with them and would have adopted them in a heart beat if we had a place bigger than 720 square feet and a yard for them to run around in. i just don't think it's fair to a big dog like that to be cooped up in a tiny place...but believe me, as soon as we move into a house, (and by soon i mean the very first day) i'm going to the animal shelter and adopting a dog. it doesn't matter what breed or how old it is, as long as it's friendly with other animals i'm adopting it.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
[quote="Frasier's Mommy"

Can you imagine laying in a cage at PetSmart while people gawk at you and the cat you grew up with wondering what happened to your family of 7 years?? SCREAMMMMMMM :banghead: :banghead:[/quote]

Oh, that is sooo sad. Those poor babies - how can people be so cruel and unfeeling?

I don't like going to Petsmart on adoption days either. The last time my grand-daughter and I went, they had several large dogs there for adoption. One was a beautiful 6 yr old German Shepperd, whose family had moved - {sigh}

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Who moves and leaves their family pet??? To me, it would be like leaving a child behind. It is simply unthinkable. My God, those poor dogs and cats wondering what on earth is happening to them while their families just go merrily on their way. I'm sorry, I'd sooner leave my arms and legs behind than abandon a pet. I hope those people rot in H*ll. :angry5:

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
It's so horrible and heartbreaking. Can you imagine what those poor animals think and feel about what happened. i agree there is no excuse :cry: :twisted:

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is just my opinion , I would do what ever it takes to keep my babies, and some times we are to quick to judge peoples actions, I don't know the peoples whole story maybe they should have tried to find their beloved pets a home and screened people throughly than just sent them to a settler.
I know from experience what it was like to give up a pet, my 64yr old auntie moved in with us and was allergic to our cat , after many months of doing ever thing we gave our cat away. She thought that she might have allergies to our dogs as well, (we still have our dogs). But that was a tough call for us , She decided to move out after one yr, that was hard on me.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dillia said:
This is just my opinion , I would do what ever it takes to keep my babies, and some times we are to quick to judge peoples actions, I don't know the peoples whole story maybe they should have tried to find their beloved pets a home and screened people throughly than just sent them to a settler.
I know from experience what it was like to give up a pet, my 64yr old auntie moved in with us and was allergic to our cat , after many months of doing ever thing we gave our cat away. She thought that she might have allergies to our dogs as well, (we still have our dogs). But that was a tough call for us , She decided to move out after one yr, that was hard on me.
But, you said you gave your cat away. That's different than dumping them in a shelter or rescue. We've had some forum members who have had to rehome a pet. Many times rehoming is better for the pet and the family. It's heartbreaking as I'm sure you know from your post. :( I'm sorry you had to go through it with your cat.

Rehoming is taking responsibility. Dumping them off on a rescue service after 7 years simply because you can't take them where you're moving to is just cold-blooded in my opinion.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i couldn't find a new home for my pit when i had to rehome him. i know that if i didn't go with the spca he would have ended up somebody's fighting dog. he was very large, strong and muscular. he didn't like kids. i tried everything i could to get him used to children he was fine as a puppy but the older he got the more aggressive with children he got. he was very bull headed as well, i took him to 3 different obedience classes and we were told by 2 that we could not come back and the one said he should be put to sleep cause he was too stubborn and i'd wake up one morning with him at my throat :roll: the trainer was breed prejudice. i turned to the spca to help me rehome him. i even gave them a hearty donation. they rehomed him with a single, young, active girl. i miss him very much, and often think about him. everyone in the shelter cried along with me when i had to say goodbye to my boy. here i was 7 months pregnant on my knees crying hysterically and appologizing to him. but i knew that it would not be a good environment for my child or for him, i didn't want to have to seperate him in the house or make him an "outside dog."

i think bringing them to the shelter is better then leaving them in the old apartment or house to die of starvation. or even letting them go in some field. sad that they get abandoned yes. but thankful for shelters that will take them in and find them homes. also the "free to good home dogs and cats" are ended up as bait dogs. don't get me wrong a lot of dogs end up in good households but i've studied too long and hard on the ins and outs of pit bull fighting. i know what these monsters do and a lot of times they get their bait dogs from ads in the paper or they steal dogs from their backyards..... i'd rather the animal end up in the shelter than face these horrid fates. especially if it's a no kill shelter.

·
Registered
231 Posts
That's very irresponsible! Atleast try to find them a nice home or something!! How cruel and sad, esp after having them so many years :x :cry:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts