Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gave Pepe chicken last night and a chicken leg bone. I gave the same to Gracie.

This morning around 3:00ish Pepe had to go outside so he woke me up. He peed and pooped. I didn't see if the poop was diarrhea or not.

This morning after giving more chicken for breakfast Pepe threw up the majority of her food. And she kept on throwing up. She finally was having dry heaves with some foam coming out her mouth.

Now she is resting on my lap.

I hope to God he didn't get a bone stuck in him. I can ill afford the costs of a major operation for him.

He usually scarfs down treats but would only eat half his little heart shaped treat about an hour ago.

What would you do if you were me?

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Hmm... I would really keep an eye on it. Did she throw up immediately after eating? Is she still refusing to eat treats? Vomiting after eating and refusing food can be symptoms of a blockage, but it could also just be an upset tummy. Is she acting like she is in pain?

If she starts to act lethargic or painful I would get her to the vet ASAP.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
He doesn't seem to be in any pain. He threw up right after eating his chicken this morning but did not throw up last night after eating the chicken and bone.

I just gave him about a 1/4 cup of good milk. I'll see if he keeps it down.

P.S. I am so used to having only female dogs I still accidentally call him a "she.":tard:

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Oops, sorry I didn't realize it was a he: :).

How old is he? I would withhold food for a while. Feeding while they have an upset stomach can make it worse. Allow him access to water but no food for now.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Milk probably would not be a good thing to give him while his stomach is unwell.
If he's vomiting or has the runs for an extended period I would offer some electrolytes like pedialyte or whatever you have available there and take him to the vet, was he eating raw or cooked bones?

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I would personally watch him very closely if there is no improvement definitely take him to the vet and tell them what he ate and see if they feel it might be related :(

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Aw bless his little heart. Poor Pepe! I'll keep him in my thoughts & prayers that it's nothing huge! Hopefully he'll feel better soon, if not, like the above posts say just keep an eye on him and see how he's doing. Keep us updated ok hon?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By the way, I forgot to mention that they both had a small ball of raw hamburger the day before and Pepe got diarrhea from that. So maybe it is the hamburger?

Both dogs have had trouble with hamburder. SO I guess I just don't give any to them again. I got it organically grown at the health food store.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I wouldn't give hamburger. Burgers are notorious for carrying a high bacterial load, just because it's ground and has lots of surface area. Usually dogs can handle bacteria just fine, no problems. But with a new-to-raw dog, I just wouldn't chance giving ground meats.

I would make sure Pepe is drinking water and not feed again until later tonight. Then I'd give just an ounce or so of plain chicken meat. If he does OK through the night, then you can start back up a little at a time on the chicken tomorrow.

But I bet it was the hamburger.

Sorry, I hope he's feeling better soon.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks everyone for your good help. One more thing: This morning my boss said it looks like Pepe isn't getting enough to eat because his ribs are showing.

Is this normal for a chihuahua's ribs to show? or should I give Pepe three feeding of raw a day until he gets more meat on his bones?

He is 6 months old.
Weighs 4lbs. 1oz or so (it fluctuates).
I feed him 2 ounces meat in A.M. and 2 ounces meat P.M. He always seems hungry.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
His vomiting cleared up I take it? Good. :)

His ribs shouldn't show when he's just standing there. You should be able to feel them if you press. Sounds like he's too lean. Yes, add in another meal. 3 meals of 2 ounces each sounds like a great starting place. Or if you prefer, you can just add an ounce onto his regular two meals. Whatever works for you. If you don't see him bulking up a bit, then add in a bit more.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Pepe still has diahhreah. It is possible it is from Meijer's brand chicken legs after switching from Whole Foods organic ones? I started freeding the Meijer's brand on Sunday evening.

I got some turkey legs from Krogers and cut the meat off the bone, very lightly boil it and give it to the dogs to see if this will help.

This morning Pepe woke me up around 5ish. He went out and peed and pooped. While walking him around the block about 6:30 he pooped about three times a little at a time and all runny.

He pooped at lunch and just a little while ago. This is so unusual for him to poop so much. I'd rather try to clear it up than pay alot at the vet. He still eats really well.

I just started feeding him three times a day.

I wouldn't think going from chicken to Turkey would keep giving diahreah though.

My other dog Gracie hasn't had any runny bowels.

Pepe has been playful and runs around with Gracie. Sure wish I knew what to do.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Don't cook the bones! That can make the bone splinter. Have you checked the sodium levels in the chicken you are buying? That can cause loose stools as well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
In an online article I just read it said if your dog is less than a year old and has diahhreah you should immediately take him to the vet as he may have parvovirus. Could he get this from raw meat?

"Intestinal - This virus causes extreme damage to the intestinal tract, causing sloughing of the cells that line the tract. This can leave the patient open to secondary bacterial infection. Most of the affected dogs (85%) are less than one year old and between 6-20 weeks old -- before the full set of vaccinations can be given. The death rate from infection is reported to be 16-35% in this age group."

The intestinal signs include:
•Lethargy
•Vomiting
•Loss of appetite
•Diarrhea - usually bloody, and very foul-smelling (a characteristic odor, particular to Parvovirus infection)
•Intussusception - when a section of the inflamed intestinal tract telescopes into itself. This is an emergency.
•Fever

Well, he doesn't have Lethargy or Loss of appetite and no blood and no fever.
Parvo Questions - Parvovirus (Parvo) Infection in Dogs

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't cook the bones! That can make the bone splinter. Have you checked the sodium levels in the chicken you are buying? That can cause loose stools as well.
I never give cooked bones. I take the meat off the bones and very lightly boil the MEAT.

The package doesn't say the turkey legs or chicken legs have sodium or broth or injected water broth.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
No, you can't get parvo from meat. It's passed to dogs from feces that are infected with the virus.

Maybe step up the bone a bit. Can you get some unenhanced chicken wings? Sodium less than 100mg per 4 ounce serving. Or let him gnaw on the end of a chicken thigh or drumstick and get some extra bone in his meals. I wouldn't overfeed as that can cause loose stools (I know you said he was looking thin though).

Also, cut off all the fat and skin until his poops are normal again. That can also cause loose stools in some dogs.

You could also try a tablespoon of a stool binder such as pumpkin. NOT the pie filling. Just plain old canned pumpkin. Some raw purists would frown on that, but I wouldn't like diarrhea either and would want it cleared up.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I never give cooked bones. I take the meat off the bones and very lightly boil the MEAT.

The package doesn't say the turkey legs or chicken legs have sodium or broth or injected water broth.

Oh, I misunderstood, sorry. I thought you meant you were boiling the bones.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I'm no expert but you cannot get Parvo from feeding a raw diet.
However it sounds like something is askew here Tony.
Could you put your little dog on a high grade kibble for a few days to see if this helps him feel better/clears up the digestive issues?

Just a thought....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Took Pepe to the vet this morning. Last night he kept getting me up to go out. He had diarrhea again last night with blood in it.

X-ray taken to rule out bone stuck in intestine. No bone.

He was dehydrated a little so gave some water under the skin.

He has an infection so we gave some anti-biotics.

Hopefully what ever is getting the dog sick will go away and we can get our lives back to normal (whatever that is LOL).

1 - 20 of 38 Posts