Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Peppy has a problem. He is constantly digging under the fence and getting out. He isnt doing it to escape though, he just wanders around on the footpath or sits at the gate or garage door. What scares me though is that he occasionally wonders out onto the road :confused2: . We have tried blocking off under the fence in numerous ways but he just finds somewhere else to get out. Tonight I buried his waste in the whole he dug this morning (and got out a total of 4 times!) and then sprayed citronella oil all under and on the fence, as it was reccommended to try. But if this doesnt work, Im at my wits end!
Can anyone please give me any suggestions as to what I can do?????

Additional information: He is outside with Toby (mum's dog) most of the time. Reason being, I live with my mum and well its her house and I cant argue with her :roll:

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
It's hard when you live at another persons home. Chihuahua's are very needy when it comes to attention (well the ones I know). They are kinda like kids. I would think that Peppy may have taken that chi trait. :)

Is he inside in the day or night or mostly an outside doggy? Is he left unattended in the yard for long periods of time? Does Toby dig too?

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
I would say never leave him unattended in the garden as one day something bad could happen - chihuahuas are not outside dogs they are not made that way - maybe you should talk to your mom and come to some sort of compromise.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Do they have those electronic fenses over there?
I've never tried them, but the people down the street from me have one and it seems to work.
I know they arn't cheap though.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imkari said:
It's hard when you live at another persons home. Chihuahua's are very needy when it comes to attention (well the ones I know). They are kinda like kids. I would think that Peppy may have taken that chi trait. :)

Is he inside in the day or night or mostly an outside doggy? Is he left unattended in the yard for long periods of time? Does Toby dig too?
I bring him inside as much as possible and he is with company, whether it be dog or human 100% of the time. When he is outside Im always keeping my eye on him and I think mum is starting to come around a bit and let him inside more which is good.....yes it is hard living at another persons house! And no, Toby doesnt dig.

Ms_P said:
Do they have those electric fences over there?
Yeah we do i think.

But the good news is........He didnt try and get out once today :hello1: I think burying his poop and the citronella are doing the trick :toothy7:
I keep him around the back though when no one is home, because I still don't trust him 100% yet but fingers crossed that Peppy's escaping days are over!

·
Registered
102 Posts
We had a dog that dug under fences once, but we were lucky that it was a small yard. What we did was buy some chicken wire (it's very cheap). We laid in under the fence with a couple of feet sticking out on inside and the other 12 inches on the outside. Then we covered it with some mulch. He couldn't did through the wire and it kept him in very well. Eventually the grass grows up through the wire, too, or you can just bury it a few inches under the ground if you don't want to wait.

You might want to cover the wire with lawn plastic to keep the doggie from getting his feet scratched or use something we call rabbit wire which isn't as tight of a mess but still almost impossible to dig beyond.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I agree with pammyszoo. I was going to say to bury a small peice of fence around the whole yard to prevent him digging out. It will take a lot of time and effort, but well worth it if he can't get out and hit by a car.

I hope the spray keeps working. And keep on your mom about letting him in. You can show her many books on Chis, they are not outside dogs. They are people dogs, and need your attention.

Best of luck,
MD

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your help everyone! Peppy hasnt gotten out since I put the spray down and buried his poo!! And ive been slowly bringing him inside more and more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts