Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for several opinions on carriers

question 1- I would like to have a tote purse for my pup when we go out to stores she is 1 lb right now but her mom and dad where 4lbs....but just in case the owner was fibbing should a go a tad bigger on the bag:
these are my options Teacup is 11 1/2" x 6 1/4" x 8 3/4" Holds pets up to 4lbs
Small is 15 3/4" x 8 3/4" x 12 1/2" Holds pets up to 11bs

question 2- whats better a carrier or a car seat... i know that she might feel secure in a pet carrier, but figured she would like to look out the window also.

please dont get mad i am not a person who thinks of their dog as a accessory but she sneeks in my purse anyways, might as well find a tote thats ment for dogs so my baby doesnt get hurt

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
How old is she? that will help give an idea as to how much growing she has left to do which in turn will make it easier to determine the proper tote size for you :)

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Oh ok, in that case I would opt for the carrier that measures "15 3/4" x 8 3/4" x 12 1/2"
Really the two bags are not that hugely different but it's much better to have more space than not enough space if you follow!

What style of carrier is it?

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
If it was me I would get the small size, that way you have room for a small blanket inside on the bottom and you can also toss your wallet or personal goods in there as well. When I carry a dog carrier I also make it double as my handbag (hate carrying two things)

So that is my advice! :D
Hope it helps.

·
Registered
135 Posts
For what its worth I actually saw that tote at the pet store, the tea cup was really small, I would have gotten the bigger one...lol I guess that would be the small, it wasn't quite my style I did consider it but I figured I probably wouldn't be satisfied with it and it would land in the avalanche of bags in the closet.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Absolutely the bigger one! I've also seen the smaller one and it's ridiculously tiny.
By the way, congrats on your new pup!!! :)
And there is nothing wrong with having a dog carrier, the fact that's it's cute is a bonus!
I don't own a car so we take cabs, here you are not allowed a dog inside the cab unless she is in a carrier.
Not to mention it's handy for bus and metro travel, trips and vet visits. Chanel loves going everywhere with me.
And if you get your pup used to the carrier when she's young, she'll learn to love it, it'll be a little safe nest.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Also I find that the given weight limit is always exaggerated.
For example a carrier that's meant for up to 11lbs is really more for 8lbs and under.
Plus you might want to add a blanket, a chew toy,etc.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Absolutely the bigger one! I've also seen the smaller one and it's ridiculously tiny.
By the way, congrats on your new pup!!! :)
And there is nothing wrong with having a dog carrier, the fact that's it's cute is a bonus!
I don't own a car so we take cabs, here you are not allowed a dog inside the cab unless she is in a carrier.
Not to mention it's handy for bus and metro travel, trips and vet visits. Chanel loves going everywhere with me.
And if you get your pup used to the carrier when she's young, she'll learn to love it, it'll be a little safe nest.

LS are you in Quebec by chance? lol
I noticed you used "metro" and I know the the STM does not allow dogs unless they are in a carrier on buses.. was not aware of Cabs though.. never had that problem.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
LS are you in Quebec by chance? lol
I noticed you used "metro" and I know the the STM does not allow dogs unless they are in a carrier on buses.. was not aware of Cabs though.. never had that problem.

Haha, what's the right word for metro? lol I'm telling you it's tough for me, I
think in Russian then translate it into English in my head, then sometimes
French messes me up too!!! Oh and I'm in Montreal! Where are you? The taxi
drivers are usually pretty rude about the whole dog thing, the best thing is to
call in advance and let them know I'm travelling with a pup in a purse.
Otherwise they often refuse, mostly for religious reasons. Some also told me
they are nervous about the dog making a mess in the car and then the owner
not paying for clean up.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Haha, what's the right word for metro? lol I'm telling you it's tough for me, I
think in Russian then translate it into English in my head, then sometimes
French messes me up too!!! Oh and I'm in Montreal! Where are you? The taxi
drivers are usually pretty rude about the whole dog thing, the best thing is to
call in advance and let them know I'm travelling with a pup in a purse.
Otherwise they often refuse, mostly for religious reasons. Some also told me
they are nervous about the dog making a mess in the car and then the owner
not paying for clean up.
We used to live in Westmount.. so downtown Montreal.
My husband was born and raised there :D we move for his work sometimes but will be back there soon! we should have a doggy play date!

Some of the cab companies are dumb.. but I used to use Atlas & Diamond almost exclusively and neither gave me much of a hard time but I usually just had the dog in my purse .. not a carrier per say.
And yes "metro" is the correct term for the Subway system there.. it's mirrored after the Metro in Paris France.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
We used to live in Westmount.. so downtown Montreal.
My husband was born and raised there :D we move for his work sometimes but will be back there soon! we should have a doggy play date!

Some of the cab companies are dumb.. but I used to use Atlas & Diamond almost exclusively and neither gave me much of a hard time but I usually just had the dog in my purse .. not a carrier per say.
And yes "metro" is the correct term for the Subway system there.. it's mirrored after the Metro in Paris France.

What a small world,huh?! :p That's so fun! We should definitely do a play date!
I'm about to move as well, but not very far, 10 min drive, and will still be in the city. Oh how i'd love to move to the country side though.
Haha, I'm glad "metro" is the right word,lol. Because if I say I want a subway, people will probably give me a sandwich! rofl :toothy10:

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you have the cash, gucci and louis vuitton still make pet carriers / totes. burberry used to make purses / dog carriers and you still find them on ebay periodically. Coach also makes a dog carrier but they have slimmed down their dog line and they don't always have a new one available each year / season.

I own one of the original coach dog carriers and it's masculine enough that I don't mind using it when I fly with one of my dogs.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you have the cash, gucci and louis vuitton still make pet carriers / totes. burberry used to make purses / dog carriers and you still find them on ebay periodically. Coach also makes a dog carrier but they have slimmed down their dog line and they don't always have a new one available each year / season.

I own one of the original coach dog carriers and it's masculine enough that I don't mind using it when I fly with one of my dogs.

Rotf lmao...yeah I have my eye on something that is practical but doesnt look frumpy. I dont think I would ever have one of those unless it was a gift. Would be nice but dont for see it in my future.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts