Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
I have PetPlan for Lion. I also put away a little money each month into savings, in case of an emergency. With pet insurance, you have to pay the vet up front but then you are reimbursed. It is worth it to me, incase one of my dogs broke a leg or needed to be hospitalized for a while. I don't have to worry about going into debt over my dogs, because I can always be reimbursed for almost all of the treatment.

·
Premium Member
5,275 Posts
i also have Petplan... and if you look at my posts about Chicos recent Surgeries... it has been wonderful to have pet insurance...I also set aside alittle each month to pay up front but then replenish the account when the Insurance pays me.......

·
Registered
383 Posts
Well, I can say that I think it's a good idea.

I had decided early on that I would save the amount of money I'd spend on pet insurance every month and in a couple of years I'd have a fair amount saved up. My girls were healthy so I thought it was a good bet.
Well, that was the plan anyway... Kira was 10 months old when I brought her in for her spay and the pre-op blood test showed elevated liver enzymes.
That was the beginning of the rollercoaster ride. Up until then she was just a happy healthy little pup.
$2000 later she's been diagnosed with Microvascular dysplaysia, a liver disease.

We have insurance now but anything relating to the MVD won't be covered.

So far she's doing fine, and she may never have any problems (here's hoping) but it would have been better if she was covered.

Hind site is 20/20.

My recommendation; shop around for insurance and sign up.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I really hadn't heard much about pet insurance until a couple years ago when I started working in the veterinary field. I now have Corona signed up with Trupanion.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I just got Insurance on Amberleah, they will pay for anything that is not preexisting. So any new illness after insurance they will pay.
Next week I take her to a university hospital even though we don't know what is wrong, because of the symptoms they wont pay I put insurance on to late.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Some companies/policies do, but you're likely paying higher premiums for that kind of thing, which just doesn't make sense for me. I'd rather have a lower premium and be covered for accidents/illness.

·
Registered
251 Posts
We just signed Bailey and Izzy up for pet secure today. We got plan 4 so shots, dental, blood work, spaying ect is all covered :) In the 4 weeks we've had Bailey, we've already taken her to the vet twice and spent close to 400$ on her :( Poor baby

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
What ever insurance you get; DON'T get ASCPA insurance. Emmie was covered with it, and now they refuse to pay! They say every automatic yearly renewal is a 'new' policy, and she was diagnosed before the policy was renewed, so they won't pay. Has to have 180 days free of any disease or, cured to be covered. So 6 months before a policy renews, your dog can't get diabetes, epilepsy or any on going ailment.!!! I am trying to decide if I want to take them to small claims court. Sue

1 - 13 of 13 Posts