Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been contemplating pet insurance from Pet Plan. Can anyone convince me it is worth it? We spent so much money over 2 years on our kitty who went through renal kidney failure. Although she passed we still have two cats plus Lady. It seem like insurance for Lady might be a good idea. As my first chihuahua, I am not sure what health issue she might come by. She is healthy at the moment as we had a vet visit after I got her where we took care of an ear infection but all else checked out good. She just turned 4, is pure bred and just a smidge under 6 pounds. I know unfortunately sometimes the very tiny ones can have some health issues due to size but she is not tiny. Seems weird that her insurance would be about a third of what I pay for my own health insurance through work! Of course hers doesn't have an employer contribution.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I have pet plan for Amberleah but have not been able to use it as everything wrong with her is per-esting before her 6 months waiting. but you never now if ill use it I pray not she to sick as it is.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I was wondering about this too. With 3 dogs (2 large, one of which is accident prone) I go back and forth over if it would be worth the monthly expense to have them covered... especially since I now have a little one who gets run over on a daily basis during playtime --I'm surprised she hasn't learned to stay out of the way yet :rollseyes:

·
Registered
277 Posts
We have pet insurance for Brewster through ShelterCare. He came with 45 days free, so we decided to invest the $21 per month for the basic care. It ensures if there is an emergency (like a surgery, broken leg, ect.) then we pay a $100 deductible and then it's a 90% reimburesment after that. So, it's awesome just in case he has a big emergency, but it doesn't cover basic check ups :/

I just looked up PetPlan and it seems to be a pretty good insurance. It's nice that it covers more than emergencies, too, but it's $32-$38 a month. If we weren't broke college students, we would probably invest in that insurance. Good luck! :daisy:

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Don't know if you are in uk,just got my renewal yesterday £200.65 for the year and has gone up from us paying the first £60 on treatment to £65.All the times we've been to the vets it's cost just under the £60,so i'm putting money away each month in an account instead of insurance

·
Registered
836 Posts
I also have pet plan. Chloe might need some baby teeth pulled and they will cover that. I figured being a tiny dog the may be more issues.

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought a PetPlan policy yesterday for my little one. I got the gold plan with a $200 per incident deductible with a zero copay after that. The problem is that little things might not get over the $200 mark. However something major would be covered. A $3,000 treatment was recommended for my cat for a thyroid problem. If she were insured that would have really been great. Ill try the PetPlan for a year or two and see what happens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts