Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,

does anybody know anything about pet passports? How much do they cost etc? Only my boyfriend's family are moving to spain and there is a very good chance that me and matt might be joiung them!! But obviously there is no way im going anywhere without elmo and roo!!

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Hmm... the pet passport that we refer to at the hospital has to do with rabies quarantines and traveling throughout Europe/Virgin Islands without having to jump through hoops. If this is the passport you are refering to, contact your federal veterinarian's office or consulate in the country you are traveling to.

For example, if a dog originates in the UK (rabies free) it can obtain a pet passport to travel in and out of countries that are endemic to rabies, without having to do rabies titers in each country, and undergo quarantines.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
76 Posts
so if you were to move from the usa to the uk could it be done without months of quarantine????does it depend on the age of the dog??? :wink: :wink: i would really love to know this. if possible. lol. :wink:

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Nattie, it only applies to dogs originating in Rabies non-endemic areas.

If you were to bring Odie to the UK from the US, a few things are required (in this order):

-dog must not be a "dangerous" breed, and must be at least 6 months of age
-dog must originate from a "qualified" country. US, and Canada are considered qualified.

1. European Microchip
2. Rabies Vaccine
3. Rabies Titer test to Kansas University
4. Tick and Tapework Certificate
5. Health Certificate/Customs Forms
6. Approvals for travel as cargo, special documents for the carrier, etc...

If some of the requirements are not met in full during customs check (happens a lot), the dog must be quarantined for 6 months.

It's a very long process that is also very expensive. I believe the Titer test itself is around $180.

If you want to bring your dog to the UK, plan months in advance, and make sure you compile all the necessary information, you cannot trust the veterinary staff to get the details right.

-Nate

·
Registered
76 Posts
thnak you so much for the information it is useful to know this incase i ever have to go back there.is it different if you just want to vist???. is it less sressful that way or the same requirements??? for ethier end? as my mom might vist with her little dog. a little black terrier. :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
hey nate, i got a question.

what about hawaii? do you know if there are regulations to follow going there (from new jesey) with vacations and then moving?

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
With Hawaii, you're in luck. They used to have the 6 month quarantine, which was reduced to 120 days, but now they have new regulations which allow you to qualify for 30 day or 5 day or less quaratines (still not ideal for a vacation).

The requirements are the same whether you want to stay for vacation or move there. Hawaii is a rabies-free island, so they are very strict.

To qualify they basically have to do everything you need to do with the UK except the Eurochip (regular chip still required).

Here is the checklist of requirements:
http://www.hawaiiag.org/AQS/aqs-checklist-5.pdf

One thing you won't like, is that animals are not permitted in the cabin, meaning Chiwi would have to travel in the cargo = COLD!

If you want to travel out of Hawaii and come back you can apply for a re-entry certificate which will let you return based on certain conditions.

Sheesh you guys are picking all the hard places to go to =) It's easy to import a dog into California, why not just come here! =)

·
Registered
76 Posts
so as long as i have all the paperwork odie can travel with me then. can he be carried on as hand luggage i a have an airline approved carrier. :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Unfortunately overseas, dogs cannot be transported as carry-on, they must endure the flight as cargo. For our little ones this is dangerous since acclimation is a problem and temperatures and pressures do drop drastically.

I would probably not recommend it with such a young dog at this point, perhaps you should consider when Odie is at least a year. The reason why the health certificate is necessary is because the ride is stressful, and they do undergo an uncomfortable situation the whole trip.

·
Registered
76 Posts
oh of course i wasnt meaning i would travel now lol. he is way to young. of course i will wait till he is a year old at least. :wink: :wink: especially as the flight is sooooo long. 12 hours. :shock: :shock: heheehee :wink:

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I don't know about Hawaii but travel to and from the Virgin Islands you only need a health certificate from the vet and they can travel in a carryon in passenger compartment :D

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
That is because St. Croix is one of the US Virgin Islands. Going from the US to any of the British Virgin Islands, Barbados, Dominica, Antigua, or Jamaica, and it will be TOUGH (pretty much impossible without the 6 month quarantine).

We spent about 3 months trying to get Orlando Bloom's dogs into the BVI while he was filming Pirates of the Carribean, and in order to avoid the quarantine, he had to send someone to the island ahead of time and bribe the dept of agriculture.

The whole health certificate thing is a big pain in the butt, but I guess it keeps the rabies out which is the good thing.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Tlaking of bringing dogs into hard places....try bringing a dog FROM a hard place! its going to be a nightmare getting Poppy out of China to the UK! :(

1 - 20 of 28 Posts